Freshman No. 15 Andy Vega cheers on No. 44 Sawyer Chesley who rounded third and makes his way home after Ali singled through the middle. Chesley would be the 10-9 winning walk-off run against the Rams on Feb. 12.
Roman Acosta

Cerritos rallies in the ninth inning for the win

Cerritos ends their losing streak and wins 10-9 on a walk-off hit in the bottom of the ninth inning.

Freshman infielder, No. 24, Bilal Ali singled through the middle for the game-winning run against Victor Valley.

Ali collected two RBI’s through freshman’s No. 15 Andy Vega and No. 44 Sawyer Chesley.

Vega was the tying run on third and Chesley was the winning run on second as they scored through Ali’s hit.

Freshman RHP, No. 50, J’amore’ Ward starts the game on the mound for the Falcons against Victor Valley. He pitches for a total of three innings as he is shown throwing a fast ball against the Rams on Feb. 12. (Roman Acosta)

“It was exciting, today I was struggling towards the beginning finding my swing,” Ali said, “I felt prepared and I was ready when I saw that pitch come my eyes got wide and I was able to bring it home for the team.”

Freshman outfielder, No. 23 Angel Alvarez was walked in the bottom of the ninth and got the balk off the Rams pitcher.

No. 14, Lucas Iorgulescu got to first base off a throwing error, Alvarez rounded off third base and home plate for the score to make it 7-9.

Down by two, both Vega and Chesley were walked at the plate after battling it out with the Rams pitcher.

Freshman LHP, No. 26, Matt Cabrera pitching in the top of the ninth inning for the Falcons. He would make the last Victor Valley batter fly out to the right field to end the inning as he sends a fastball against the Rams on Feb. 12. (Roman Acosta)

Ali was up at the plate when a wild pitch flew right by Victor Valleys catcher when Iorgulescu scored an unearned run.

Vega would take third along with Chesley on second. Ali battled it out with the pitcher before he knew he had to send it down the middle for the win with one out.

The Falcons were down 9-6 at the end of the first inning.

The dugout consisted of motivational spirits as they remained hopeful of winning this game as losing was not an option for them.

Freshman infielder, No. 24, Bilal Ali celebrates facing his team’s dugout after sliding and being safe at first base. He singled in the bottom of the fifth inning and would make it home against Victor Valley on Feb. 12. (Roman Acosta)

Defensive plays from the outfield helped stoped this game get out of hand despite critical errors in the infield. Six total pitchers were used throughout the game by the Falcons.

A notable player worth mentioning is Freshman second baseman/shortstop No. 3, Alex Bueno who stepped up as the starting catcher for the game due to injured starting catcher Daniel Mariscal Jr.

“There’s certain needs ask, sometimes you have to do something you’ve never done before,” Bueno said, “when the team demands you answer.”

“I’m happy for the guys, we preach that in practice that we have to play all nine innings, starting from the first pitch in the first inning to the last out in the ninth inning and they did that they battled, they believed that they could get the job done to come out victorious and they made it happen.”

Freshman No. 14, Lucas Iorgulescu steals home off a wild pitch. He scores the Falcons eighth run of the game in the bottom of the ninth inning against the Rams on Feb. 12 (Roman Acosta)

Freshman RHP, No. 50, J’amore’ Ward started on the mound and pitched three innings allowing four hits, five runs, and three errors.

Freshman LHP, No. 26, Matt Cabrera relieved RHP, No. 32, Tony Lendvai to start the top of the ninth inning for the Falcons. He only gave up one run and two hits and retired the inning against Victor Valley.

The Falcons baseball record moves to 3-5-1 this season in non-conference. Cerritos will play West Los Angeles College in the afternoon at home on Saturday, Feb. 19

Roman Acosta
Roman Acosta, Sports Editor
Roman Acosta is the Sports Editor for Talon Marks, This will be Roman’s second semester on the Talon Marks Staff. Roman is also an assistant football coach at John Glenn High School (Norwalk CA) as well as a sports photographer who is a Journalism Major. Roman is a fan of Marvel/DC movies and comics. Roman enjoys watching Baseball, Football and other highly competitive sports. Roman would be interested in becoming a sports photographer or journalist in his future.