Doc and Marty experience accurate depiction of 2015

In “Back to the Future II, ” Doc Brown and Marty McFly go to Oct. 21 2015.

Since it is set in the future things look a little freaky in comparison to real-life today. However, some of the things that seemed so far-fetched at the time have become a societal norm now.

According to backtothefuture.com, director Robert Zemecki said, “I learned that you can predict the future based on what you know.” Here’s a look at some of the things that were predicted right in the movie.

· In the film there were multiple flat panel televisions ranging in size. Even reaching as large as 85 inches. Today almost everyone has a flat-screen television and they all vary in sizes. Along with the television itself the motion picture also depicted a six-channel television screen, which today can be viewed with the push of a button.

· Biometric data is used in order to get into security systems. Apple has created a new passcode for their iPhone where anybody can unlock their phone with their fingerprint.

· The use of video conferencing seemed like a distant memory at the time however, Oovoo, Skype, and Facetime have all taken the world by storm at one point or another. They can even be utilized from a desktop, laptop, or even your cell phone.

· The use of drones looked like a futuristic piece that would never actually come to fruition. Yet, the use of drones has become even more useful in the present day. Drones are used by the government for multiple purposes and they are used by everyday people for things such as cameras and even as toys.

· In honor of “Back to the Future Day,” Universal Pictures released a parody trailer for “Jaws 19.” In the cinema there was big marquee outside of a movie theater which read “Jaws 19.”

· Hoverboards became the new fad in the movie as Marty McFly could be seen cruising the streets on it. Most people did not believe it would become a reality. However, the two wheel hoverboard has become so popular people are using it as main sources of transportation now.

· The self-lacing Marty McFly Nike sneakers were very popular in the film. In 2012, a limited edition replica was sold at $5,000 a pair, although it lacked the self-lacing feature. According to nydailynews.com Tinker Hatfield has hinted at the possible release of the “Marty McFly’s” under the Nike dealer.

· Probably the most far-out prediction was the belief that the Chicago Cubs would defeated a Miami based team in the World Series. Subsequently, capturing the Cubs first World Series since 1908. While it may have seemed impossible at the time, currently the Chicago Cubs are set to face either the New York Mets or the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League Championship Series in order to have a chance to play in the 2015 World Series.

Not everything predicted in the film came to pass, such as voice activated lights, retina scanning security systems, or flying cars. However, it seemed as if more was right than wrong when it came to the film. Maybe predicting the future is possible.

Terrel Emerson
Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!