Students learn about major options at workshop

Cerritos held a workshop called “Choosing your Major” made possible by Traci Uikta, who works for Career Services at Cerritos on Sept. 19, making students aware of their options.

A powerpoint was presented that explained the ways to figure out what to do when students chose their major, how to set career goals and what degrees they can get for moving up with their major.

“Even though this workshop has been going on for 15 years, there are different versions of it,” Ukita said.

Another slide said that not all majors match up with career choices. Some examples that were given were celebrities, such as Oprah Winfrey, whose major was Speech and Performing Arts, and Micheal Eisner, former CEO of Walt Disney Co., whose major was English.

Maria Kerollos, a former Business major, said that when she came to Cerritos College, it was very different from what she originally wanted.

In addition, a flyer was given with different aspects of a major that could be for the student. It was in the shape of a pinwheel that had different titles and details about it.

For example, there was the Doers, who like to work with tools and machinery and they value concrete over abstract, common sense. There was also the Thinkers, who like solving abstract problems, analyzing data and value learning, curiosity, and research.

Creators like work in art, music or writing and value beauty and self-expression and the Helpers like working with people, teamwork, and value caring for others, cooperation, and empathy.

These titles were then put on a survey on a website called onetonline.org. Students would pick the most compatible answers and at the end, they are tallied into points and are shown how much of each title they are like.

Another website that was shown was called, Eureka.org. An account was given to the students where they would put in their specific job and narrow it down to job titles and salaries they could earn in any state.

“This workshop helped me because it had many resources, a strong industry, and the websites helped with looking at jobs,” Quinn Doan, a graduate student, said.

Vivian Yglesias, Staff Writer
Vivian Yglesias is a Cerritos College student and is a journalism major. Her free time includes listening to music, Internet browsing, and writing. She hopes to become an author one day, but is settling for a career in journalism because she loves to write.