Students receive help with UC applications

Stephanie Romero/TM
Students like undecided major Grace Ginto worked on a mock UC application to prepare them for the transfer process.

The University Appeals Workshop that took place on Oct. 20 was a workshop for students who are looking to transfer to a University of California for next fall and may need assistance in filling in their Applications.

In this workshop, Brittney Lundeen, a transfer counselor here at Cerritos College, was helping by walking the students through the application process by filling in a fake application on universityofcalifornia.com.

For the 14 students that were in attendance, they got all the help that they needed.

“This is my first time applying, so it was very helpful,” business administration major Grace Ginto said.

One of the items Lundeen used to help students was assist.org, so they can find the schools that had their majors and the classes that were transferable.

Another helpful tip that was given to students was the fact that up to four applications can be sent for free.

“Depending on you, your family income or if you’re an independent student, you may have a chance to get an application fee waiver for four applications” said Lundeen

Students were so eager to start on their application, they started while Lundeen was still showing them what to do.

After the quick visual way of doing the applications, 3 staff members walked around to help students that still may need help with it.

Overall, the workshop was successful in what they need to do, which is to help people with the items on the applications that they needed help on.

“It helped me a lot, I also came here last year for the Cal State Workshop. It was very helpful, the teachers are great, so I would come here next time if I have questions.”  business economics major Vit Ram said.

“I think the workshop is here to help students do the most accurate application possible; The information provided is what the universities are looking for admissions. In other words, it went well,” Lundeen said.

For those who didn’t get a chance to stop by for help on their applications, the next California State University application workshop will be on Oct. 25, and the University of California application workshop will be on Oct. 26.