Cerritos celebrates Black History Month

Visual Artist June Edmonds was interviewed by Cerritos College professor Damon Cagnolatti. Edmonds discussed the importance of of African-American art. Photo credit: Yasmin Cortez

Cerritos College celebrates diversity with Black History Month. Tues. Feb. 10 was the first of the three events kicking off with “Conversations with Visual Artist, June Edmonds.”

Edmonds was interviewed by Cerritos College professor Damon Cagnolatti about her art and the message she tried to convey through them.

The next event in the series will be Thursday, Feb.19 at 11 a.m. in room S 201 for Movie Time: “Ethnic Notions.”

Edmonds is a cultural art educator and some of her work can be seen around the Los Angeles MTA, the Department of Cultural Affairs in Los Angeles, among other places.

Edmonds said, “I was invited for Black History month to talk about the black arts movement and my own art work. I want to share my work and about the importance of art by black African American artists.”

According to Cagnolatti, Edmonds was chosen to speak after he met her at the , California African American Museum, C.A.A.M. where Edmonds was giving a presentation on her art and her influences.

Edmonds was specifically covering her abstract work at the time, which is also an exhibit at the C.A.A.M.

Cagnolatti was inspired by her story about how she became an artist, her struggles and how she was accepted into the Artist in Residency program.

He said, “This is something our students go through, I thought wow, this would be perfect if community college students heard about her journey, what her policies are on art and what their meaning is.”

Attendee Taitu Nagus, business administration major, was glad to see so many students and even some of her associates at the event.

She was afraid most attendees would go for just the food but was impressed with the great participation and interest, since she felt like not many students participate with school events.

Nagus said, “Art is always relevant and being African-American or Black shouldn’t inhibit you from doing what you love.”

Sheila D. Hill, counselor/member of black history month committee, was pleased with the outcome of students and was happy with the student engagement during the open discussion, since they had great questions for the artist.

“We have a committee that is working together to put a series of events on that will allow our students to celebrate their history, in some ways to connect and learn about their histories and a third way to identify resources that are here on campus that are designed to support students,” said Hill.

She hopes this will not be limited to just a month long celebration but aims to have more events like this throughout the year.

Yasmin Cortez
Yasmin Cortez, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Yasmin Cortez- My Major is English with emphasis in Film/Media, I plan to transfer to UCLA next semester, this is my first semester in TalonMarks! I’m iFalcon Club’s Public Relations Officer, Secretary for Social Photography Club, and I was on the Cross Country team. Fun facts: I plan to get my sky diving license, American Psycho is my favorite movie, I was a foley artist for a Feature Film and received IMDb credits, I have a tarantula named Harry, I'm a dancer for the Pacifico Dance Company, and last semester I was hit by the Frantone's van while skateboarding at school (I was skating because earlier that week my bike was stolen from campus)