Keep on truckin’ back to school with free food for students

Kristopher Carrasco
Student volunteers and Employees have everything set up for an efficient process. Photo credit: Kristopher Carrasco

Falcon square looked like the line for Space Mountain Wednesday as students lined up in the sun for up to an hour in advance for a free In-N-Out meal.

The In-N-Out truck was parked right outside the bookstore from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 19, providing a free meal for every student who had the current semester’s ID sticker as a welcoming gift brought to the college by the Associated Students of Cerritos College.

There was also booths set up around the area with student resources such as EOPS, Student Health Services and Campus Police.

With the help of student volunteers, Commissioner of Public Relations Megan Kim believes the event ran smoothly.

“We do this twice for the first few days of every semester. This is a way to get students involved. We even had booths set up, so that students can get more informed,” Kim said.

Even with the recent high temperature weather, many students lined up for their free lunch.

According to Kim, students began to line up almost an hour in advance which caused the line to reach all the way to the library entrance.

Some students, such as Joseph Hieber, undecided major, felt the wait was simply not worth it.

“The length of that line was too damn high!” Hieber said. “I do think it’s pretty cool. I think I’ll try it sometime.”

The students were given one free burger accompanied by a bag of potato chips and a small drink.

Jazmine Sanchez, zoology major, is in her first semester at Cerritos College and appreciates the effort the school has done to welcome students.

“I thought it was pretty cool that they’re trying to get everyone involved and really show that they care. It’s like ‘Oh here! Lunch on us!'” Sanchez said.

The In-N-Out truck will also be in the same spot on campus Thursday, Aug. 20, at 5 p.m. for the students with evening/night classes.

Many students feel the wait is definitely worth it considering that In-N-Out Employee Vanessa Araujo reported that her crew of eight members made approximately 1,050 hamburgers during the event.

“This is my second time doing this event. The problem is the heat. It goes by pretty fast considering sometimes we have events that are way longer,” Araujo said.

Kristopher Carrasco, Online Editor
My name is Kristopher Carrasco I'm that guy that went to college and didn't really know what to do. I just kind of jumped around until I was suddenly failing out of school. Then I found Talon Marks and little by little I started to understand what I wanted to do with my life and apparently it's journalism. The idea of gathering information from a variety of sources and re-telling it through visual or written story telling has engaged me in so much more than I ever thought possible. I love to work with Multimedia, but this year I have become Online Editor in hopes of learning a new skill set. I hope to be a music journalist in the future, but in the mean time I'll be finishing my last semester up at Cerritos College in the spring of 2016. I also love raccoons; like a lot.