Faculty Senate discusses new monthly workshop for students

The counseling department introduced a new way for students to find out what career path they want to choose.

Faculty senate met on Tuesday, Sept. 22, where a new monthly workshop was introduced that will be highly beneficial to students.

Career Cafe is a new workshop held on the last Monday of every month in the Career Services Center.

The workshop will be casual and will engage in simple but effective discussion to help a student find what they want to achieve.

Counselor Traci Ukita said, “Career Cafe will have a different theme every month.”

“This month’s theme is ‘What are your True Colors?'” she continued.

The first workshop will focus on discovering the traits of everyone’s personality.

Each workshop will include snacks and the first meeting will be held on Monday, Sept. 28, at 2 p.m. at the Multi-Purpose building in room 201.

The counseling department also added a treasure hunt for students.

The counseling services division will have students participate in a treasure hunt to find the new Career Services location.

The hunt will begin at the Counseling Office, then to the Transfer Center and finally Career Services.

Students will need to get a slip signed at each location and once they have all of three signatures needed, they will be entered in a raffle to win a special prize.

The treasure hunt is on Thursday, Sept. 24, from noon to 2 p.m.

During the counseling department discussion, there were some concerns about students taking an excess amount of units.

“It is a nationwide issue that students take more units than they need,” College President Dr. Jose Fierro said.

Multiple members of the senate felt that students shouldn’t wait to see counselors to find out what their next plan of action is.

Due to time constraints, Senate President Michelle Lewellen, decided the issue will be discussed in greater depth in a future meeting.

Finance/Accounting Instructor Mark Fronke was brought in to discuss the new Program Review Plus.

Fronke explained the process on what the program is.

One of the main goals is to get the each department chair to put information that will engage the students with the subject they are interested in to learn more about the type of field.

The chair for each department will attend a training in the Fine Arts building on how to use the program.

The training will be held on Oct. 9.

Ethan Ortiz, Editor in Chief
Hi! My name is Ethan and I am serving as the Editor-In-Chief for the Fall 2016 semester. I am a journalism major and love to write stories for the newspaper. In addition to writing hard hitting news, I like to create fictional stories on the side. I am co-hosting a radio show on WPMD at Cerritos College called "Beyond the Ropes" happening Wednesday at 11am. I like to listen different music, mostly Rock/Alternative and some of my favorite bands are Silversun Pickups, Cage the Elephant, and Metallica. If you want to know more about me feel free to tweet me at @EthanEnvy95.