ASCC Senate opens discussion for changes to Homecoming

ASCC Senator chair of the Rules and Regulations committee Daniel Flores lead the discussion on a need for changes to the Homecoming Event. He also wants Cerritos College students to be a part of the Rules and Regulations committee which meets Mondays 12 to 1pm in room BK 111. Photo credit: Perla Lara
Perla Lara

As an addition to the Wednesday, Oct. 28 ASCC Senate meeting Senator Daniel Flores stood in front of the senate and asked his fellow senators to look at the rules and regulations for homecoming and decide on the changes that need to be made to the event.

The rules and regulations can be found on the Cerritos.edu website here.

Issues with homecoming were brought to the Rules and Regulations Committee’s attention.

Flores stated a need to, “re-organize and re-structure the event to make it more efficient for us as a college and bring the community into it […] and promote sustainability within the floats.”

During the discussion, Senator Adrian Gomez said, “You bought recycled materials, but you threw them away the recycle trash can was not used […] I think that students want to be entertained […]

He continued, “they want to see something, a spectacle, I think the clubs that are doing these floats […] should do some activities or games and that would cost a lot less money and you wouldn’t have to build so much.”

Flores also brought up the idea of making Homecoming Court more gender neutral by including Homecoming King and Princes not just Homecoming Queen and Princesses.

He wants to promote a diversity of ideas and perspectives on issues that affect the students at Cerritos College such as the Homecoming event.

To accomplish that goal he presented legislation to the senate to make the senate Rules and Regulations Committee open to all students at Cerritos College.

ASCC passed the legislation and now any Cerritos College student with and interest in issues can join Flores and the other members of the Rules and Regulations Committee Mondays noon to 1 p.m. in room BK 111.

ASCC Senators have a strong connection and direct communication with many of the clubs on campus since many of them are club members during the meeting.

ASCC Senator Diego Lucas announced the Triathlon Club will give out free food in the city of Long Beach, Gomez announced the Psychology Club will be having a fundraiser at Shakey’s Pizza Parlor located on Imperial Boulevard and Firestone Boulevard.

New ASCC Senator Ashley Johnson also announced the debate club winning medals at their latest debate completion.

After the meeting, Johnson said Hope Garcia and Robert Commo each won a bronze metal.

Johnson herself who won a silver metal said, “We really want students on campus to know more about the speech debate team[…]we’d be happy to help them improve their speech skills[…]we love people coming to our practices.”

She added, “I liked i, I enjoyed it (the meeting). I thought there were some good topics being discussed a lot of it are things that we need to take a stands on, but we’re working toward it so I thought the discussion was a very healthy discussion and that hopefully we can come to an agreement.”

Perla Lara
Perla Lara, Managing Editor
I am a journalism student with a love of photography which makes me a photojournalist at heart. My objective is to write about people and the stories they create. I also believe that photography and journalism are great ways to document history and to connect with other people throughout space and time. My goal is to take photographs, and write stories that make an impact in peoples lives.