Book fair comes to the child development center

Expecting mother, Christina Phillips (left) reads ‘Llama Llama and the Bully Goat’ by Anna Dewdney to her son Owen Phillips (right). Photo credit: Bianca Salgado
Bianca Salgado

First time attending the Scholastic Book Fair on Wednesday, Oct. 28, at the Child Development Center, was preschooler Olivia Del Castillo who holds a book entitled ‘Palace Pets: Pet Friends Forever’ and remarks in a soft voice, “I really love the book fair.”

She came to the fair with her mother, Patty Del Castillo, and after finding a book for herself, Olivia looks for a book for her older sister, Sophia, who is in kindergarten.

Olivia wants to find a princess book for Sophia because she likes princesses.

She should not have to worry because the Scholastic Book Fair is usually held twice per fiscal year at the Child Development Center.

Office Clerk, Alicia Rosas said the fair takes place, “usually in April and October and it lasts a whole week.”

The staff at the CDC usually plan it when one finishes so they can add it into their own calendar of events.

Rosas mentions how the CDC obtains books from Scholastic, “By selling books through Scholastic we get points in return, so we can purchase books for our own library here [Child Development Center] so it regenerates you can say.”

She explains the benefits of having a book fair, “It re-exposes parents and people to buy books for their children; for literacy and expose children to read more.”

The various reading levels of books available at the fair were Pre-K along with some first and second grade books plus cook books for parents.

The popular books among children that sell the most are the Pete the Cat series by James Dean, Disney Junior’s Doctor McStuffins, and animal books.

She also added, “Students and the public are welcome to attend and browse and/or purchase books from the fair.”

Parent and expecting mother, Christina Phillips has a son named Owen enrolled in the Child Development Center.

The three and a half year old started attending the CDC at age two and a half.

Phillips read ‘Llama Llama and the Bully Goat’ by Anna Dewdney to her son.

She said, “He loves reading. That’s one thing I’ve done since he was born, just read to him and everyone is always so shocked because he stays in the book reading.”

Owen’s favorite book series are Llama Llama and Pete the Cat.

She also adds, “I try my best to volunteer however I am a full-time working mom.”

Parent, Patty Del Castillo has been coming to the Scholastic Book Fair every year.

This year marks her fourth time coming because her first daughter, Sophia, attended CDC for three years and now her second daughter, Olivia, is attending the center.

Del Castillo, who has been teaching for nine years, volunteered for three years and this now marks her first year coming as a visitor.

She adds why books are important in her household, “I am also a first grade teacher so books are very important. I teach for Norwalk-La Mirada [Unified School District] at New River Elementary School.

Attendants of the book fair like Del Castillo were able to also witness the Harvest Festival which happened in conjunction with the book fair.

Bianca Salgado
Bianca Salgado, Opinion Editor