Transfer students get a look into their futures

Ethan Ortiz
Students walk through the quad to learn about the universites and what the schools are offering. University representatives prepare to give Cerritos College students the information they need. Photo credit: Ethan Ortiz

Most students start at a community college hoping to transfer to a university, and Cerritos College has continued to push students toward that direction by providing one-on-one assistance and several fairs throughout the semester.

The first ever unification of a Majors/Transfer Fair was held on Tuesday, Nov. 17 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The fair had about a dozen students at a time checking out the various tents from universities and even some Cerritos College departments were out getting students to join their programs.

The major part of the fair included getting to speak with the Cerritos faculty about majors and even for those that were undecided got a chance to learn more about the options the school provides.

Students who attended also got some insight on possible schools they would like to attend.

Information that was provided included: certificate programs, degree programs, transfer programs and even future career choices.

“There are 36 representatives from different schools,” Re-Eentry Resource Specialist Shannon Estrada said, who represented the Career Services Department.

Schools like Cal State Fullerton and Cal Poly Pomona were there to discuss their specialties in robotics and technological courses.

Some unknown schools weren’t getting much attention, but some of the more well known schools got more attention.

Along with the various universities, Cerritos was represented with the music and graphic design departments and were even part of the fair, having some computers and instruments out playing some of today’s popular songs.

The automotive department had current students passing out flyers to spread the word about its program.

They spoke about the different certificates of achievement such as Manufacture Specialty and General Technician.

The Cerritos College Automotive Technology program also attracted students with an actual car by their tent.

Earth Science instructor Aline Gregorio represented the Geology and Geography departments to explain what is needed to transfer for those majors.

Geology specifically requires a lot of Math and Science classes like General Chemistry, Geometry and Calculus.

With all the analytical classes needed to achieve success in that major, Gregorio offered the idea for students to see SEM counselors for tutoring.

“This was the first time this collaboration is happening, and it is great,” Evelyn Mattison said, who represented the Transfer Center.

For more information about transferring and deciding a major, the Career Services and Transfer Center departments can be found on the Cerritos College website.

This could be the first of many collaborative fairs and workshops from the departments.

Ethan Ortiz
Ethan Ortiz, Editor in Chief
Hi! My name is Ethan and I am serving as the Editor-In-Chief for the Fall 2016 semester. I am a journalism major and love to write stories for the newspaper. In addition to writing hard hitting news, I like to create fictional stories on the side. I am co-hosting a radio show on WPMD at Cerritos College called "Beyond the Ropes" happening Wednesday at 11am. I like to listen different music, mostly Rock/Alternative and some of my favorite bands are Silversun Pickups, Cage the Elephant, and Metallica. If you want to know more about me feel free to tweet me at @EthanEnvy95.