Senate approves gender neutrality legislation

ASCC Senate Chair for the Rules and Regulations Committee Daniel Flores-Resendiz Showing ASCC Senate examples of the shapes and sizes of buttons that could be made if the Button maker legislation was approved. ASCC Senate agreed to fund $2270.75 for the startup cost of the button maker and to consider adding the yearly cost of making buttons to institutionalize the program. Photo credit: Perla Lara
Perla Lara

Updated: Wednesday, March. 23

Both ASCC Senate Chair for the Rules and Regulations Committee Daniel Flores-Resendiz, and ASCC Senate Pro Tempore Joseph Fierro presented senate with legislations that included changes to the ASCC Senate constitutional bylaws. Changes, that according to both Fierro and Flores-Resendiz, would benefit all future ASCC government.

Fierro presented a legislation that would make it easier for students to be eligible for senate after receiving an F grade in one of their classes.

Flores-Resendiz brought forth legislation that included gender neutrality, having a Harvey Milk day, a committee for budget and finance and the purchase of a button maker.

The legislation was introduced by Chief Justice Trent Coates.

Senator Helena Robles said, “The gender neutrality legislation, the buttons [legislation as a way] to get everyone involved, and [the legislation to give] recognition to Harvey Milk. Where the main legislations that stood out to me.”

The gender neutrality legislation changed the male gendered bias wording in the ASCC Senate into a gender neutral wording.

Harvey Milk Day, legislation asked for ASCC government to “encourage the board of trustees to adopt Harvey Milk day as an official day of observance on campus.”

It states that “Cerritos College holds events recognizing the struggles of many great civil rights heroes and diversity groups and whereas Harvey Milk is the single most notable Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, Queer (LGBTQ) advocate in the state of California and one of the most prominent LGBTQ advocates in the world and whereas the State of California has established every 22nd of May as Harvey Milk day in recognition of his struggles and the struggles of everyone fighting for the civil rights of the LGBTQ community.”

For ASCC Senator Peter Ibrahim the “Button Maker legislation was a great legislation that we voted on today. I was in support of the first option, which was the three different round button sizes.”

The second option included a fourth square button maker machine for an additional cost of $1654.95.

The button maker legislation proposed to buy three round button maker machines each one being able to make a different size button.

Flores-Resendiz asked ASCC Senate to purchase a button maker machine with $2270.75 taken from the special projects account.

The legislation also included the supplies that would be needed to make the buttons and a manual for the button maker machine.

For Flores-Resendiz the button machines are an opportunity for promotion and fundraising for the clubs on campus.

He said, “It would cost us $0.07 to make the buttons and clubs can sell them for like a $1.00 and use them to fundraise their money.”

With only one ASCC Senate meeting left in the fall semester, senators continue to work on more legislations that would benefit students.

Robles said, “We [ASCC Senators] are trying to bring some new legislations right now to get more students involved in school… trying to pressure the board members to get a winter session, so students can take more classes and finish faster, that’s the goal.”

Perla Lara
Perla Lara, Managing Editor
I am a journalism student with a love of photography which makes me a photojournalist at heart. My objective is to write about people and the stories they create. I also believe that photography and journalism are great ways to document history and to connect with other people throughout space and time. My goal is to take photographs, and write stories that make an impact in peoples lives.