Caretakers, your well-being matters too

A workshop was held on Tuesday, March 29, where Sociology Professor Pauline Acosta and Psychology Professor Veronica Sanchez, offered guidance as well as information to the 53 people that attended.

During the beginning of the event everyone in the room introduced themselves and shared their experience, thoughts and or tips for caregivers.

The workshop was interactive, there were also activities in which the audience participated in. This included, having the audience stand from their seats to move next to a poster that was on the wall that displayed topics in which the audience felt that they are resilient in.

The topics included:

• Spiritually/Meditation
  • School/Education
  • Exercise/Eating well
  • Social Support/relationships
  • Work/Finances

Acosata expressed, “Everyone is good in an area, and that is a daily reminder that even in difficult times there is something to look forward to, because care-giving can be so difficult.”

Vina Cuevas, sociology major shared her own experience as a care-giver, “The reason why I stopped being a caregiver was because I was not always aware of my needs, I was always putting somebody else’s needs in front of mine and at the end I was burnt out.

I started doing and still do spoken word poetry as one of my hobbies and a lot of the experiences that I had at the retirement home I used it in my creative aspect of life. For caregivers that are struggling the way I did I would recommend to reach out for help, like start actually talking to someone about it.”

There were students as well as faculty, that shared the struggles that they are faced with on a day to day basis as well as others who are still facing them now, some tears started to fall when these moments were shared.

Psychology Professor Veronica Sanchez explained the real emphasis to this workshop, “Students need to realize that they are not alone in this experience, that there are other students going through some similar kinds of struggles”

Sanchez continues, “It was great having a mix of students that are care givers as well as some that are not and just everybody being exposed to everyones perspective.

“It is something to think about, at some point in our lives we may be in a position and we may find ourselves not properly equipped not ready to deal with it if it happens all of a sudden and to attend a workshop like this, just makes it a little more conscientious.

She added, “It just puts it into perspective and now you have a starting point when you find yourself in that position. It is really just to be prepared.”

The take home message for students that are caregivers is that, “You still can be successful while being a care-giver.” shared Acosta.

Claudia Cazares, Staff Writer