Students discover unexplored majors

Marilyn Parra
The Cosmetology club provided students free services on campus. Professor Nina Motrok said, “We promote our service because a lot of students don’t know theres a cosmetology program.”

Cerritos College presented their ninth annual Majors Exploration Fair this Tuesday in front of the amphitheater hosted by the career services and re-entry program. The fair gave every student the opportunity to obtain more in-depth answers about their major. Students were able to talk to faculty, staff and counselors that related to their major.

The Career service booth provided pamphlets and information sheets about all the majors Cerritos has to offer and a list of degrees you can obtain.

With over 80 majors to offer, the Career Service Center knows it can be difficult for students to receive information about all their options at Cerritos.

Shannon Estrada, head of the Career Service Center says the fair gives more opportunities to students who are lost or confused.

Career Counselor Clara Ross-Jones was there to help any student with questions about transferring.

“Students get to seek partnerships and have more options,” said Jones, “students who are undecided and confused can come and find out more about what they’d like to do.”

Jones also said the major fair not only helps undecided students, but students who are considering changing majors. The fair allowed students to see what Cerritos College has to offer, students weren’t aware that the college offered automotive, cosmetology and commercial music.

Clara Cuautle, undecided major, says she didn’t know Cerritos College offered so many majors. “After attending today I learned about Administrative Justice and the different career paths, it’s something I’m considering now.”

Students enjoyed the interactive services provided by different majors like, playing with a soundboard with the commercial music program, getting your hair and nails done by cosmetology students and being able to see the inside parts of a car and its repairing process.

Professor Nina Motrok wants to let students know if typical majors are not your calling the college offers much more. “We promote our service because a lot of students don’t know there is a cosmetology program,” says Motrok.

Nursing major Evelyn Acedo says she was able to receive a quicker answer than waiting for a scheduled appointment with a counselor. She was interested to see how many majors the college offers.

College outreach coordinator Victor Arreola made sure every student left the business administrative table with the goal of obtaining a certificate for transfer. Arreola said, “Students receive quality information when they attend events like the major fair, it reminds them to further their education knowing they have many options to choose from.”

Faculty and staff let students know they could grow from any program they decide to take. Vice president of the commercial music club Cristian Valencia made his point clear saying, “When students come to the fair they discover so many majors and see different career paths that a major can take you.”

Students who attended the fair were given snacks and drinks. They were also entered in a raffle to win prizes given out by the counselors.

Marilyn Parra, Co-Online Editor
Marilyn Parra is a communications major at Cerritos College and is now the Co-Online/Social media editor at Talon Marks. Marilyn would love to work for Disney's PR team after graduating from her dream school Cal State Long Beach. She wants to be a role model for young hispanics in the media industry.