Cerritos auto program receives donations to drive the future in industry

Joe+Mulleary+%28left%29+and+Jared+Betanzos+%28right%29+holding+up+a+sign+of+gratitude+in+the+automotive+lab.+October+27%2C+2021.+
Matthew Ramirez
Joe Mulleary (left) and Jared Betanzos (right) holding up a sign of gratitude in the automotive lab. October 27, 2021.

The Greater Los Angeles New Car Dealers Association (GLANCDA) generously donated $10,000 to aid the Cerritos College Automotive Technology Program here on campus.

The Cerritos College Automotive Technology Program is one of the most successful programs on campus and in the country.The program offers brand specific training focused on some of the best companies in motor vehicles.

Over the past thirty years, the program has built many partnerships that support the program and constantly offer support. GLANCDA’s recent donation will aid students with scholarships and cover other financial expenses the program may need.

The partnership between GLANCDA and the Cerritos College programs’ purpose is to lend both professional and financial help as they are invested in the future of the automotive industry.

Bob Smith, the executive director of GLANCDA, was accompanied by foundation board member and the general manager of Norm Reeves Hyundai on October 12th. Both presented a novelty check for the donation to program chair Joe Mulleary along with other faculty and staff members that have made the program what it is today.

“We are excited for the opportunity to support future talent and leaders of our industry.”, said Smith. “The automotive program at Cerritos College is one of the best in the region and needs skilled technicians and automotive professionals,”

Mulleary saids that GLANCDA extends its work beyond college students by reaching out and helping high school students, enabling them to put on their own events and competitions.

Mulleary added the organization sends 50 of the automotive program students to the LA Auto Show free of charge to further gage the students interest in the field. This networking opportunity serves as an employment opportunity for both high schoolers and the college students in attendance; enabling them access to over 30 different car dealers.

The auto show also holds competition, Mulleary said it gages the interest in companies as they look at their potential candidates for employment.

Mulleary has yet to know the technicalities of how the program will be allowed to use the money they have received but is grateful that this recent donation will further inspire his students to reach their dreams in the industry.

Jared Betanzos, a student in the automotive program and also shared gratitude to GLANCDA for their donation.

Jared is currently an employee working at Penske Chevrolet while enrolling in the automotive program here at Cerritos College.

He said, this is great for the program and for future students that want to be in the program. It is welcoming to know that not only the program but an organization is behind you in wanting to help you succeed and thrive to help you reach your goals.

Jared also said that these new students will be of great help in a dying industry

With plans to continue his path in the industry Jared strives to be a full time mechanic in the future.

The automotive department has been afloat for many years and will continue opening the door for future and current students in the automotive field, helping them accomplish their goals in the industry.

Matthew Ramirez
Matthew Ramirez, Co-Sports Editor
Matthew Ramirez is a journalism major and Co-Sports Editor for Cerritos College’s newspaper Talon Marks. He plans to transfer to a Cal State but is undecided on which to attend. He enjoys watching sports, collecting trading cards, and binge watching cartoons. Matthew hopes to cover one of his favorite sports teams in the future in either broadcasting work or covering the team behind the scenes.