Gun laws are ineffective

Increased gun control legislation would be ineffective in improving the safety of the people of the United States of America.

In fact, more restrictions on the right that law-abiding citizens have to obtain and own firearms (as per the Second Amendment) would endanger the safety of this nation’s citizens.

American Advocates of Gun Control contend that the increased amount of firearms among a country’s citizenry results in an increase in the number of deaths, murders, and violent crimes.

It also argues that nations which exercise stringent gun control are much safer and less violent than nations that do not restrict the right of its citizens to have guns.

Countries such as the United Kingdom are upheld by those that oppose the right to bear arms as the standard of the effectiveness of gun control on reducing crime and murder.

It is true that the U.S. has a higher homicide rate than the UK. However, the UK’s overall crime rate is worse than the U.S.’s.

Advocates of gun control in their madness to deceive the masses are unaware of these damning statistics:

• The UK holds the European Union’s highest record of violence.

• It wields the EU’s second highest rate of overall crimes.

• The UK bears a homicide rate that surpasses most of its western European neighbors such as France, Spain, Germany, and Italy.

The natural conclusion is that America should not listen to the “gun grabbers” and refrain from passing more gun control laws if it does not want to see its crime rate climb. These statistics have been reported in an article of the British publication The Daily Mail entitled as of July 2, 2009 “The most violent country in Europe, Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.”

People that adhere to the notion that gun control would make the U.S. safer should consider that the UK enforces some of the strictest gun control laws in the world.

The UK’s record as a violent, crime filled nation dismisses the anti-gun crowd’s delusion that the UK is a paragon of safety because of its strict gun control laws.

If anything, the UK’s unsafe, lawless nature should overthrow the demented reasoning behind the anti-gun lobby’s advocacy of tough, draconian gun control laws for America.

These terrible yet real phenomena of tough gun control laws resulting in high rates of lawlessness and violence are not just true of the UK.

They are also true of other democracies that enforce stringent gun regulations such as Taiwan, a country that has a worse rate of homicides compared to the U.S.; Mexico, a nation that possess a higher armed crime rate than the U.S. ; and Australia, a country with a crime rate worse than the U.S. that keeps rising in spite of a national gun law enacted since 1996.

National gun control legislation and efforts to limit or ban firearms are ineffective as curbs and deterrents on crime.

Not only are they useless in decreasing crime, they contribute to the increase of crime simply because they allow for the criminal element to be armed and thus grant criminals mastery and power over unarmed law-abiding citizens.

Nations such as Norway and Switzerland have drastically low crime rates and are much more lax on gun ownership than their European neighbors.

There are significantly more guns per capita in these two nations than in other European nations. In fact, Switzerland is one of the world’s most gun-owning nations.

In light of the Norse and Swiss experience with guns, the U.S. should adopt a more lax national gun policy.

There is not enough space to make the case for gun ownership and its deterrence on crime, but the jury is in that gun control is not an ideal measure to adopt for the purpose of improving safety and lessening crime.

The U.S. should not follow gun control advocates’ cry of adopting gun legislation that would ban or regulate the access and ownership of firearms.

If this nation wishes to wind up like the UK and the other countries that are suffering from rampant violent crime due to their national gun bans, then more guns laws should be enacted and enforced.

Trinity Bustria
Trinity Bustria, Copy Editor
This is currently my second semester with Talon Marks, Cerritos College's premier student media brand, as its copy editor. Even though my job is one that is practically impossible to do since it is human to err (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23), by God and repetitious reading, I will catch all errors (spelling, grammatical, punctuational, mechanical, stylistic, and factual) or die trying. I am greatly interested in the political nature of news reporting and how current events are politicized to fit any given ideological narrative. As a paleolibertarian (think of Ron Paul)--that leans neoconservative on national security issues, Revisionist Zionist (think very pro-Israel), and Bible-believing Christian, I belong to a politically and theologically infinitesimal segment of the American public. Therefore, I have a particular worldview that is almost fitting for publications like: FrontPage Magazine, The Weekly Standard, The American Conservative, National Review, Human Events, The American Spectator, Commentary, The Jerusalem Post, The Jewish Press, Israel Today, The Washington Times, The Washington Free Beacon, and Townhall and aspire to write for publications like them as a political journalist or opinion writer. In my spare time, I enjoy practicing martial arts and researching trends in open source intelligence and counter-terrorism--apart from studying current events, theology and politics.