Women: the balance of the world

Women: the balance of the world

Some call them sister, some call them daughter and some call them mother.

The woman, companion of the man and matriarchal of the family, has not gotten the respect and credit that she deserves.

It is only during Women’s Month when we just turn to them and say, “Thank you,” but is not enough to compensate what women have gone through in history.

Have we ever stood for a moment and thought what is behind this event?

Originally, Women’s Day used to be called Day of the Working Women, due to an event on March 25th, 1911 in New York. About 146 women between the ages of 16 to 23-years-old died in a fire of a clothing factory where the doors were locked due to security rules.

This tragedy grabbed the attention of the International Ladies’ Garment Workers Union and other activists to let their voice be heard and stand up for women.

This event also changed the security of labor procedures in the long run.

Today, women around the world are still struggling either by playing both roles of father and mother, facing machismo and abuse or receiving unequal pay.

Women’s Month should serve to remember how women in the past suffered and were underestimated by men, taking away their credit when making new discoveries and progress in society.

But besides the struggle, it should also celebrate their entire freedom and effort.

The celebration differs from country to country, but it is a date where we as privileged students should keep in mind that the fight still continues.

It is a day to value the rights of women and to make sure the law follows the compromises of their human rights.

But now knowing the tragic origin, Women’s Month may not seem like a typical celebration with gifts and flowers, but more like a celebration where we as individuals should reflect about the struggle and thank all the hardworking women that have made an impact on our lives.

Giving some of our time to get to know them and cheer them up through a situation they are going through is a great way to follow up with this event.

Because it is the woman who plays an important role in society, from raising the kids who are the future of this world, to exploring and expanding new fields the man has never stepped on, women keep the world in balance.

Carlos Marquez
Carlos Marquez, Opinion Editor
My name is Carlos Marquez and I am Opinion Editor for this fall semester in Talon Marks at Cerritos College. There is not much to say about me, I'm a regular student just like you majoring in Journalism and getting closer and closer to graduate with an Associates degree. I'm a fan of comic books and movies, I am what some may call a geek; I guess. I like to be aware of the events surrounding my community and share points of view with people to learn something new. I think is important to turn the community's voice into echo in order to inspire,make a difference and support a common cause.