Removal of bathroom privacy

New York College, Cooper Union has been the first to remove gender designations from restrooms in the United States after a long activist battle to help transgender students feel safe and welcomed in the institution.

The new restroom measure was officially announced campus-wide on Friday, March 18 via an email that was sent from College President Bill Mea.

Students at Cooper Union have had an activist battle underway for some time to remove the gendered labeled restrooms.

But was it maybe taken a little too far?

Instead of having public restroom designations removed, there could have been something else done that would not upset or make the rest of the students feel awkward.

Students physically removed the gender signs from the bathrooms in one of the campus buildings. To the students’ delight, the signs were never replaced according to USA Today.

Great activists can take ideas like these and make them a reality.

However there were things that should have been taken into consideration before making a drastic decision.

Activists should have taken everyone’s safety instead of solely focusing on the desires of the transgender community.

Public restrooms are really for anyone to use, but they do add a significant amount of privacy for the individual inside.

Many can argue that we all share a bathroom at home, but that is a completely different experience than using a public restroom.

Bathrooms at home are individual compared to having several toilets or urinals in one room.

Even though thinking the worst does not help, there are safety matters that should be taken into consideration.

There is a really admirable and brave concept in all of this; students standing up for their ideas.

However, the most important aspect of all this is making sure that every single student feels like they are a part of it, and their voices are being heard as well.

Instead of only placing importance in one group and leaving the rest feeling harassed or squared out like in this case.

Claudia Cazares
Claudia Cazares, Staff Writer