Lynwood High School teachers on the LAUSD strike

Arley Valdovinos: ELA Teacher for 10 years

“I think they bring out valid concerns for example they are requesting that we should have a nurse in every school. Sometimes the kids want to go see the nurse but the nurse is not there because that person might be in another campus. So I think the teachers are making a valid point in requesting resources and I feel for them.”

Vicky Tucker: ELA Teacher for 13 years

” As a teacher, I feel like there are times when it’s necessary for us to speak out about the things that are going on our schools. From what I understand, LAUSD (teachers) is asking for lower class sizes, for schools to hire more resources like counselors and these are things kids need. In order for things to happen, we need to gather and make our voices to be heard.”

Brian Arkangel: ELA Teacher for 22 years and Assistant High School Principal

“I think the strike is inevitable because the district is slowly is chipping away teacher’s rights, every time something new comes along, teacher’s budge a little bit and they don’t give that back. Teacher’s are asked to do more and more (time and effort for students). The price of things in Los Angeles are sky-rocketing and teachers are not seen anything for that extra effort on what they are doing they should be getting raises for the regular cost of living. The strike just seems like the only way for anyone to listen to the teachers.”

Lisa Talavera: History Teacher for 13 years

“My opinion is that the teachers are fighting for the lower class size, and of course the higher pay which they should have because their pay is currently is far below on what they deserve as teachers. But the class size as now, far exceed 40 students per class which I have classes that are over 40 [students]. You cannot teach one on one. Right now, I have classes that are 30 [students] because it is [Advanced Placement] which is much more manageable. And when you go over 35 [students], at that point you cannot teach especially when you have classes that have students that have special needs. And going further with inclusion, you’re going to have students that range from Honors to special aid students that cannot meet the needs of [these students]. These teachers cannot go back to the classrooms until the district can negotiate with them for a fair agreement.”

Eunice Barron, Co-Online Editor
Eunice Barron is a staff writer for Talon Marks and a multimedia journalism major at Cerritos College. She is an entertainment and political media enthusiast. She hopes to transfer to Cal State Fullerton to obtain a bachelor's degree in Journalism and Communications. Her dream job is to be a political journalist for the New York Times, Los Angeles Times or NBC Universal.