Women’s water polo narrowly loses South Coast Conference game

Game one of the Cerritos College women’s water polo team’s doubleheader ended in a crushing 18-17 loss to the Rio Hondo Roadrunners.

Coach Sergio Macias said, “We gave ourselves a chance to win the game, starting from the first quarter all the way to the end, and we didn’t convert on easy opportunities. There’s nothing else I could have done.”

Both teams went back and forth throughout the game, wherein attacker Carla Harvey scored two goals within two minutes toward the end of the fourth quarter, tying the game and giving the Falcons another shot at a victory in overtime.

The first overtime opened with a Rio Hondo goal, until center Breanna Zuniga tied the game at 16-16 for Cerritos, adding another three minutes to the clock.

Attacker Kristina Ramirez said, “I think that we played our offense very well, and our defense. Mentally, we didn’t give up, but physically we were kind of hesitant, but I think that this game was a good reminder of how we should play.”

The second overtime began with another Rio Hondo goal, followed by a Cerritos goal from Harvey, her seventh of the game.

With 55 seconds left, Rio Hondo scored the game-winning goal, causing the Falcons to drop a South Coast Conference game.

Attacker Lucila Davies said, “I think we could have done better, especially since during practice we play with the alumni players and we play so well against them. I just think that we need better communication and hopefully we do a lot better next time.”

The Falcons (7-15 overall, 3-4 conference) will compete next in the Battle at the Beach Tournament Oct. 24-25.

Monica Gallardo
Monica Gallardo, Opinion Editor
Spring 2015 Hey, I'm Monica and I'm the opinion editor at Talon Marks. When I'm not stressing about creating story topics and making sure everyone meets their deadlines, I'm probably hanging out with friends or sleeping or just chilling with dogs. It's my second semester on the paper and hopefully next semester I'll be at a Cal State. Last semester I was the sports copy editor and I'm excited to take on a bigger role and grow with my fellow journalists. In the future, after school is all done with and I'm responsible enough, I plan to go to New Zealand and maybe stay there because even though I've never been there, it's my favorite place. And no, it's not because I love The Lord of the Rings and New Zealand is where the trilogy was filmed. That's just a coincidence.