Men’s tennis defeats Mt.SAC for the seventh time in a row

“Easy,” said Mark Antoniuk of the Cerritos men’s tennis team, touting after a seventh victory in a row over home defenders Mt. San Antonio in an 8-1.

This victory secured the top position on the South Coast Conference on Tuesday Feb. 23.

The win puts the team at a 90 percent win ratio in the first 10 games of the season.

The next game scheduled for the men’s tennis team is Thursday, Feb. 25th, at home against El Camino, and as the Falcons eye an eighth straight victory.

Coach Alvin Kim said, “(We) wanted to shut them out.”

The match up saw the first loss of Nikita Katsnelson for the entire season, going nine games without dropping a single loss.

The loss he did suffer, however, would end up being the sole loss of the evening, which still hasn’t loss since the devastating loss to last year’s champ Irvine Valley.

The team is also undefeated in conference play, going 2-0 against rival schools.

Sophomore Agustin Lombardi was able to pick up wins in both the singles with 6-2, 6-2 and double ladders, with Mark Antoniuk partnering up to earn another win going 8-2.

While Katnelson gave up a single game, he bounced back with a win in the doubles ladder with fellow freshman Oleksandr Krasnov, winning 8-2.

The game showcased the abilities of several key components to Kim’s well-oiled machine, as Freshmen Aleks Trifunovic and James Zhang went 8-1 in another successful doubles match.

Miguel Meza, Staff Writer
Miguel Meza is a second year student of Cerritos College. Apart from reporting for Talon Marks, Miguel is an independent filmmaker, showcasing his abilities through multimedia reporting throughout Talon Marks. A California native, he continues to strive to get the inside scoop on life.