Men’s tennis takes twentieth win

The Cerritos College men’s tennis team reached the 20 point mark on Thursday, March 24 at El Camino College for the second season in a row to cap its record to a mere three losses.

Head coach Alvin Kim was modest about the gained record.

“We’ve come close to that every year,” he said.

Following the 8-1 victory and going undefeated in the doubles division ladder for the entirety of the afternoon.

Sophomore Agustin Lombardi had his first game at the No.1 position, posting a 6-1,6-1 victory in the singles division ladder to continue his string of dominant games.

While those who played were convincing in their victories, a number of starters were sat after previously achieving success in a six-game gauntlet over six days.

Freshmen Kyle Konishi and Eliot Dota accompanied Sophomore David Evans in being the trio to compete in both singles and doubles ladders posting a majority total number of five wins between the three, with Edgar Munoz assisting Evans in the doubles match winning 8-1.

Mark Antoniuk was able to post a 6-1, 6-2 victory, following Konishi’s undefeated 6-0, 6-0 victory and serving as a preamble for Evans’ 6-4, 6-3 victory in a day where only one singles matchup was given to El Camino.

Both freshmen James Zhang and Alex Trifunovic were triumphant in their 8-0 victory on the doubles ladder after both players respectively sat out for the day in the singles division.

The team also improved their South Coast Conference position to first place over division rivals Mt. San Antonio, which recently fell to the Falcons in Norwalk on Tuesday, March 22.

The win also marks a fifth victory in a row for head coach Alvin Kim’s team as he looks to repeat his group’s performance against Ventura on Tuesday, March 29.

“It should be easy,” Derik Dizon touted of the upcoming game, not phased by his close 6-3, 7-5 loss.

The team looks to improve to 21 wins against the Ventura Pirates to chalk up yet another win to their undefeated South Coast Conference streak and set the stage for the slated to-be-announced South Coast Conference tournament.

Miguel Meza
Miguel Meza, Staff Writer
Miguel Meza is a second year student of Cerritos College. Apart from reporting for Talon Marks, Miguel is an independent filmmaker, showcasing his abilities through multimedia reporting throughout Talon Marks. A California native, he continues to strive to get the inside scoop on life.