Brown takes state home run lead, Falcons lose to Vikings

Sophomore infielder Kylee Brown is now leading the state in home runs after hitting one in each game against Southwestern and Grossmont.

The Falcons defeated Southwestern 8-0 in five innings, then went on to play Grossmont, losing 10-2 in six innings.

Brown is now on a six-game streak with at least one home run, during that time she has hit eight of her 11 home runs to go along with 23 RBI’s.

Assistant coach Jenel Guadagno said, “[Brown] comes out and works hard everyday and deserves to be in that top spot, she is definitely carrying us and is a leader on and off the field so we love it.”

Brown added, “It’s super cool, I’m really humbled and I’m just happy that I’m doing good and performing well.”

The Falcons faced Southwestern College in their first matchup of the day, Southwestern came into the matchup with a 17-6 record and second in its conference standings.

Cerritos came out firing, scoring four runs in the top of the first inning on two hits and taking advantage of two Jaguar errors.

The Falcons came right back in the top of the second scoring three more runs off a two-run home run by Brown and an RBI double by Jissel Caballero.

Cerritos scored its final run in the top of the fifth.

Starting pitcher Jissel Caballero pitched five shutout innings only allowing five hits and no walks to capture her sixth win of the season.

The second game of the weekend came against Grossmont, who is currently third in its conference, one spot behind Southwestern.

The Falcons came out and scored a pair of runs from back to back home runs by Brown and Briana Lopez.

The Grossmont pitching staff would hold the Falcons scoreless for the remainder of the game.

Meanwhile the Griffins scored 10 runs in the next five innings to end the game early and handing the Falcons their eighth loss of the season.

Guadagno said, “In the second game I think we just ran out of gas, it was an off game and we’re down players, but we did our best and just came up short. “

All three pitchers on the Cerritos roster pitched, each giving up at least one earned run.

Caballero was credited for the loss, making it her first of the season.

The Falcons then played rivals Long Beach City College for the second time this month.

Cerritos dropped the first matchup with the Vikings 2-0 and would lose again 14-13.

With the loss the Falcons now surrender second place in the conference to Long Beach City.

The Falcons now have a 3-2 conference record and have dropped to third behind Long Beach and undefeated El Camino.

The teams offense was able to score 13 runs off 15 hits, but the pitching staff was unable to slow down the Vikings allowing 20 hits.

All three Cerritos pitchers allowed at least two runs.

Despite the loss the team remains confident in the potential of this squad.

Outfielder Kimberly Olivas said, “I know that the players we have now on the team and on the field are working their hardest and I think this team can win it all.”

Head coach Kodee Murray added, “The group that’s out here is hard working and dedicated and they have a lot of heart, and I think it’s going to be an exciting close to our season.”

Max Perez
Max Perez, Sports Editor
My name is Max Perez and I am a 19 year old student in my second year at Cerritos College. I am currently in my second semester as a member of the school newspaper, and this semester I am the Sports Editor. I chose to write about sports because it is my only interests, so a job where I only have to go to watch sports and then write about them is perfect. Im still not close to being an expert but i enjoy it so im going to keep at it.