Falcons successful in first game of conference play vs ELAC

In a fierce and contentious back and forth game, the Cerritos College Falcons defeated the Huskies with a score of 4 to 3.

They received a good game out of starting pitcher, freshman David Hays and Richard Castro, sophomore No.17, was able to drive in three across the plate.

Hays starts the top half of the first with a scoreless inning as the Huskies go down scoreless.

In the home half, the Falcons wasted no time in getting on the board after Alex Bueno, No. 3 and Andres Vega, No. 15 got on base.

Castro brought the pair in after hitting a two-out single.

At the end of the first inning, the score was 2 to 0 for the Falcons.

As starting pitcher Hays, continues to make the Huskies light work through the first four innings of pitches.

The same cannot be said about the fifth inning where he allowed six players to the plate, with five consecutive singles, which brought the score up to a 2 to 2 tie game.

After getting the second out and getting the third, via a fly out to end the top half of the inning. Hays would continue on in the game as the team’s designated hitter on the mound.

At the end of the top half of the fifth inning, the score remained tied at 2 apiece.

In the bottom half of the fifth frame, Buck Anderson, sophomore No. 2, got the ball moving as he hit a double, but was caught trying to stretch it out to get to third base.

Vega immediately responded by hitting a single, which is followed up with Bueno being hit by a pitch.

Hays remained in the game as the DH, but was immediately walked loading the bases up for Castro.

He went to react and break the stalemate, hitting an infield single making the score 3 to 2 as Vega scores.

Martinez hit a fly out allowing Bueno to tag up and score as the Falcons led 4-2.

The score stayed the same until the top half of the seventh inning when Husky Jason Vela hit to the left-field for the base runner to score making the score 4 to 3 for the Falcons.

Adam Chavez, freshman No. 35, came into the game in relief to pitch one and 1/3 innings, paving the way for Alex Hurtado who went on to induce a pop out to end the eighth inning.

Hurtado ended the game by retiring eight of nine of the batters he faced to end up earning a save in return for his efforts.

In a post-game conversation, Coach Butler shared his feelings about this being his first conference game as head coach and the end resulting in a win.

“We’ve been having a stroke of bad luck lately. The ball hasn’t gone in our favor and a four-game losing streak, so my biggest thing was to snap the losing streak,” May said.

“I told the players I was very proud of them. They left it all out on the field.”

Coach Crisp said, “We have one of our relievers taking on a bigger role as a starting pitcher.”

Relief pitcher Adam Chavez said his goal for the team for the next few games is “the same amount of teamwork the same amount of hustle.”

The Falcons will continue to face the Huskies for two more games this week on Feb. 27 and Feb. 29.

Luis Lemus
Luis Lemus, Co-Sports Editor
Luis is very big on baseball and tries to attend as many games as he can when there are no classes, of course. When he is not in class or attending a baseball game, he enjoys listening to music, specifically Hip-Hop and Banda. Specifically Banda MS, Banda La Adictiva and Banda El Recodo.