’42’ beautifully portrays Robinson’s story

With a gripping story based on real events, “42” is sure to entertain and teach audiences.

Jackie Robinson is one of sports’s greatest figures ever, hands down, and “42”, a film about his story will go down as one of the greatest sports movies of all-time, and you should rush out to watch it.

Director Brian Helgeland did a terrific job of illustrating the story of Robinson (Chadwick Bozeman) as he fights through and conquers the color barrier in sports, becoming the first Black baseball player in Major League history.

All would not be possible without the desire of Brooklyn Dodgers’ general manager Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford), who sought a Black player, understanding that they would one day break into the game anyways.

“42” does a great job of making the viewer feel as though he is Robinson, and is being insulted directly as Robinson climbs out of the International League and into the Major Leagues.

The movie takes fans back to Ebbets Field, then the home of the Dodgers, and other stadiums such as Crosley Field in Cincinnati.

Everything you have heard in history class was exhibited, stemming from name-calling to pestering, and even intent to injure.

But the thick-skinned Robinson attacks each obstacle with ease, impressing believers along the way.

Wherever Robinson’s frustration was exhibited during the movie, the viewer can’t help but want to shed a tear, or fight back, or even cheer as he triumphs.

Thus was the power of Boseman’s acting as he drew you into the story.

Members of the audience clapped loudly as Ford’s portrayal of Rickey was superb. He was stern, and outstanding, standing up for what he believed in, a chance for Robinson.

Any parent that shares baseball tales with his kids must share this story with them, as if it wasn’t for Jackie Robinson, sports would be a lot different than they are today.

In a scale of four stars I wouldn’t hesitate to give “42” a perfect four, applauding the effort by Helgeland, and especially the acting job of Ford, who is a former ball player himself.

Jonathan Garza, Online Editor
Hello everybody, My name is Jonathan Garza. I am a second-term online editor of the Talon Marks brand for the fall 2013 semester. Former titles I have held at Talon Marks include: associate sports editor, co-sports, sports, managing and online. Outside of Talon Marks I have six years of journalistic experience, which include being the editor-in-chief and owner of WCBSports.com, a sports website with a west coast bias, the former EIC and part-owner of DodgersNation.com, and a contributor to LakersNation.com. My hobbies include: Bowling, Hiking, Basketball, Video Games and Writing, among other things. I am a lover of all sports and an especially big fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers, UCLA Athletics, Los Angeles Lakers and Peyton Manning (currently of the Denver Broncos). My goal is for my website, which stands for West Coast Bias Sports, to become a household name, and to see it become a reputable brand. I'd also love to work for ESPN some day covering all types of sports, and sharing my love for them with the world.