‘Dolittle’ Review: A mess of a film and waste of time

Through the years there have been many different interpretations and adaptations of the character Dr. Dolittle, first starting off as a children’s novel in the 1920s, then off to the theatrical film staring Eddie Murphy. Now with the new release of the “Dolittle” remake, the question arises: Does this film shine in comparison to all the other ones? The answer is no.

The story begins with a brief origin of Dolittle, played by Robert Downey Jr., the famous doctor and veterinarian who can talk to animals in their native language.

Embed from Getty Images

He meets and falls in love with a woman named Lilly. As they grow closer together, they embark on many adventures and rescue animals that would later on be a part of their large family.

After Lilly’s death, Dolittle closed himself from the world, never to be seen again for seven years. However he comes across a young boy named Tommy Stubbins who is fascinated with Dolittle’s ability to speak to animals and wishes to be his apprentice.

A young girl named Lady Rose, the princess of England and daughter of the Queen, then comes to Dolittle’s mansion in need of help to save her mother who has been ill. With this information Dolittle embarks on a journey to locate a special fruit that would cure and save the queen.

The story has a good premise but lacks in execution. There are parts of the story that leaves the audience interested in only for the scene to be over really quick.

The pacing in the film is mixed up as well. Sometimes, it would go too quickly, leaving people confused on what the actors are communicating about. Other times, the pacing is so slow that it would leave the audience members falling asleep.

Same goes for the set pieces and locations, as only a few places look interesting and the rest are either boring or not interesting at all.

As for the actors and actresses, it felt like they didn’t do as well as many would hope.

Downey Jr. and the actors voicing the animals, were the ones that made this film even watchable but even then that still isn’t enough for someone to enjoy it.

The jokes in this film were either not funny or just plain grade-school humor, jokes that maybe a toddler would laugh at, but for an adult or kid ages 10 or up? They might not think it’s funny.

There was no enjoyment out of this film and it’s a shame because it looked like it would have been really promising in the trailers and released clips of it. It had a strong premise and a fantastic actor but even with that, it doesn’t excuse the poor pacing and bland characters.

Movie goers are better off watching something else other than this film as it’s not something that anyone would like. The adaptation with Eddie Murphy is a better film than this one, which is why this film gets 2/5 stars.

It is a film that isn’t worth your time and money.

Oscar Torres, Co-Arts and Entertainment Editor
Oscar Torres is one of the Co-Arts & Entertainment editors here in Cerritos college. He’s been wanting to study journalism since high school and since then he’s been working hard to continue his goal. He enjoys all things entertainment from manga, film, shows/cartoons, music and video games. Oscar hopes to transfer to CSULA to continue his career in journalism in hope of one day working in a news group that he is passionate about or starting his own brand for all things entertainment.