Nashville-style chicken spot opens in Lakewood for Spice Lovers

Customers walk to the new Dave’s Hot Chicken location which opened on Sept. 12. There were busy lines inside the red-lit store with customers eager to try spicy chicken. Photo credit: Fatima Durrani

Offering seven spice levels ranging from no spice to reaper, (where you need to sign a waiver because it’s that spicy), Dave’s Hot Chicken has officially made its way to Lakewood.

Dave’s Hot Chicken offers chicken tenders, sliders, mac n’ cheese and fries. They’re best known for their spicy, peppery flavor infused into the well-cooked chicken.

The casual fast-food hit became a sensation at a pop-up in Hollywood back in 2017 and is now expanding their chain throughout the US.

With busy lines off Clark Ave. in Lakewood, Dave's Hot Chicken offers a drive thru as well as dine-in option. Spice levels range from no spice to reaper (which needs a liability waiver).
With busy lines off Clark Ave. in Lakewood, Dave’s Hot Chicken offers a drive thru as well as dine-in option. Photo credit: Fatima Durrani

Dave’s Hot Chicken is the best place for those who love spicy chicken or want to customize it to their preference.

It definitely doesn’t disappoint when it comes to giving customers an enjoyable burn-leaving you full but wanting more.

In fact, if you’d prefer an extreme heat, it’s recommended to try out the reaper spice level-which is the highest level of spice.

The reaper spice is served on fresh, white bread or in a slider, and is so spicy that it pulls tears out of your eyes. A liability waiver needs to be signed before trying this meat!

Dave's Hot Chicken tenders with a mild level spice placed on soft, white bread along with seasoned fries. To the left is the famous Dave's sauce.
Dave’s Hot Chicken tenders with a mild level spice placed on soft, white bread along with seasoned fries. To the left is the famous Dave’s sauce.

All locations offer Halal meat, which is permissible for Muslims in addition to others to eat. This offers Muslims the chance to experience delicious, filling chicken with the comfort of knowing there’s Halal meat.

Decorated with a beautiful mural and neon red lights, Dave's Hot Chicken attracted so many cars that an entire lane on Clark Ave. was blocked.
Decorated with a beautiful mural and neon red lights, Dave’s Hot Chicken attracted so many cars that an entire lane on Clark Ave. was blocked. Photo credit: Fatima Durrani

The chicken tenders and sliders of all spices are recommended for those who love indulging in clean, seasoned meat.

Dave’s Hot Chicken started off with a group of best friends: Dave Kopushyan, Arman Oganesyan, Tommy and Gary Rubenyan.

After putting together just $900 for a small pop-up shop in Hollywood, their chicken tenders became a hit which led to the expansion of locations opening in places like Lakewood.

The fast-food hit sensation offers chicken tenders, fries, sliders and different combo options to your preference.
The fast-food hit sensation offers chicken tenders, fries, sliders and different combo options to your preference. Photo credit: Fatima Durrani

Anyone that adores a hot and spicy combination is bound to love the selection at Daves’ Hot Chicken.

At Daves’ Hot Chicken not only is the food to die for, but the workers treat you with kindness (in most experiences).

With its mouthwatering smell and ambient lighting, the atmosphere inside and outside of Daves’ Hot Chicken can easily reel you in.

The location in Lakewood off Clark Ave. offers a drive-thru service as well as takeout, dine-in and will soon be available on delivery services such as Doordash and Uber Eats.

If you dare to try an aggressive spice or simply want to indulge in a peppery, hot bite-Dave’s Hot Chicken would be a great match for you!

Fatima Durrani, Opinion Editor
Fatima Durrani is the Opinion Editor & c0-online editor for Talon Marks. She is a Journalism major for Pre-law, and this is her last semester at Talon Mark before she transfers to a university. In addition to reporting, Fatima enjoys singing, editing photos, creating short films and reading poetry.