Players sign Letters of Intent

Jonathan Garza
Football players sign their Letter of Intent to their four-year universities in the Falcon Gymnasium.

Defensive tackle Kyle Peko, cornerback Theo Chambers and offensive tackle Sean Rubalcava were three Cerritos College football players that signed their Letters of Intent to Division I schools Wednesday.

The other football player in attendance was defensive end Dominic Tiapula, who signed his LOI for Eastern New Mexico University.

The Falcons have a total of 11 players that have signed LOIs to continue their careers at universities around the country.

Head coach Frank Mazzotta is excited about the future for his young athletes.

“It’s always a thrill, but that’s kind of our job. To get the kids out (to the next level).”

He also added, “I’ve been here a long time, the trophies we have are the kids. You can win championships but the real trophy is seeing them go somewhere and play.”

Peko, who’s heading to Oregon State, had visited Nebraska, Michigan State, Utah and Washington State before making his final decision.

“When I took my trip (to Oregon State), I built a (good) relationship with the coaches.”

Peko admits it’s a surreal moment and he hopes he can make a big impact during his time at Oregon State.

“My goal is (to) get better. It’s (a) Division I football school so there’s nothing you can do but get better and try making it into the (National Football) league.”

Rubalcava is heading to Fresno State University and is anxious to get the next step in his career started.

“I’m really looking forward to going to Fresno, I graduate from Cerritos (College) in May and I’ll be there (Fresno State) for summer workouts. I’m just really excited to get with the team and get this thing going.”

Rubalcava also has goals set for him, as he is majoring in political science.

“I want to get my degree in political science. As for football, I want to be able to start for two years and help them win another Mountain West title, maybe even get into a BCS bowl (game).”

Chambers, signed to the University of Cincinnati, also feels he’s ready to take the next step in his career.

“It’s a big experience, I’m ready to go to a Division I school and get out there to get my degree.”

He jokingly added, “My goal is to gain some pounds because I’m kind of light right now next to these big guys.”

With all the excitement going on, Mazzotta notes the importance of education being a priority.

“(The) most important thing is for them to get the schooling done. If somebody is going to pay (for) your education that’s most important, especially in this economy.”

“But of course they all think they’re going to play in the National Football League, but that’s just a dream for them,” he said.

Other players who have signed are defensive tackle Ma’a Brown (Brigham Young University), tight end Tristan Henderson (University of Alabama-Birmingham), and Sione Lavulo (West Texas A&M University).

Jonathan Garza
Jonathan Garza, Online Editor
Hello everybody, My name is Jonathan Garza. I am a second-term online editor of the Talon Marks brand for the fall 2013 semester. Former titles I have held at Talon Marks include: associate sports editor, co-sports, sports, managing and online. Outside of Talon Marks I have six years of journalistic experience, which include being the editor-in-chief and owner of WCBSports.com, a sports website with a west coast bias, the former EIC and part-owner of DodgersNation.com, and a contributor to LakersNation.com. My hobbies include: Bowling, Hiking, Basketball, Video Games and Writing, among other things. I am a lover of all sports and an especially big fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers, UCLA Athletics, Los Angeles Lakers and Peyton Manning (currently of the Denver Broncos). My goal is for my website, which stands for West Coast Bias Sports, to become a household name, and to see it become a reputable brand. I'd also love to work for ESPN some day covering all types of sports, and sharing my love for them with the world.