Montana transfer fits well into softball team

Got to love Cali: Roxanna Jensen and her father found the warm Southern Californian weather very pleasant and decided to stay at Cerritos College. Jensen practices her batting as coach Murray focuses on strong batting.

Freshman Roxanna Jensen, outfielder for the softball team, is a transfer student from Montana that came to Cerritos College to meet new friends and further her time playing softball.

Jensen’s time in California and the Cerritos College softball team has been beneficial to her as she had an even better experience as a freshman transfer.

“It’s pretty good, I live with my grandma and I’m making friends on the team,” Jensen said.

She believes the friendly environment is welcoming and offers the opportunity to connect with teammates.

“Everyone is pretty nice and I definitely like the warm weather better than the cold Montana winter,” she said.

Roxanna’s decision to transfer to Cerritos College was based on her dad, who looked at a couple schools but was won over once they made a visit to Cerritos College and he met softball head coach Kodee Murray for the first time.

“My dad looked at colleges here. We were visiting my grandma here and just got convinced to play softball here once I met coach Murray,” Jensen said.

Murray had nothing but positive hopes for the transfer freshman outfielder Jensen.

“Roxanna has come in and worked hard to improve,” she said. “She’s out of Montana, so they have a little bit different level of softball compared to Southern California, she’s had to learn to be a little more aggressive.”

Bud Murray, assistant coach, said Jensen has dealt with the change very well and loves sharing stories with her teammates.

“When Roxanna came back from Christmas vacation, she was telling the women about the spot light and going out shooting jack rabbits at night,” he said.

“The women couldn’t believe any of them shooting those rabbits. It was kind of a funny story,” Murray said.

Her stories have brought her closer with her teammates and hopes to expand her friendship.

Teammates of Jensen said that she came in and worked hard to help the softball team while having a open mind about new things.

Jensen will look to improve her skills with the team while making new friends here at Cerritos College.

Alexus Aragon
Alexus Aragon, Staff Writer
Spring 2014 My name is Alexus Aragon. right now I'm not sure what I'm majoring in, I'm still exploring. I'm interested in this class because i like to write and interview people.