Conference win earns Falcons Southern California playoffs

Briana Hicks
Quarterback Jimmy Walker targets wide receiver De’Jai Whitaker in the second quarter. Walker and Whitaker connected for four touchdowns en route to a 44-15 win. Photo credit: Briana Hicks

The Falcons trailed 15-14 heading into halftime, but three touchdown passes from quarterback Jimmy Walker in the second half, it was able to capture another conference championship.

“It’s a indescribable feeling. [We’ve] been chasing a goal all year and to finally accomplish that [is amazing],” he said.

With his touchdown numbers standing at 29 on the season, Walker is two touchdowns shy from the school record.

He also had no problem admitting that the team put together its best second half of the season when it needed it most.

In addition to the three touchdowns in the second half, Walker threw two in the first half.

Four of which belonged to the state-leader in receiving yards wide receiver De’Jai Whitaker.

“I can’t say enough about that guy he makes plays,” Walker said of his receiver.

Whitaker also had nothing but good things to say about his offensive leader.

“Jimmy [Walker] always finds a way to get me the ball,” he said.

One of the more underrated performances of the game belonged to the offensive line.

Walker admitted that the offensive line “played [its] butts off.”

Running back Kishawn Holmes, who rushed for 165 of the team’s 272 yards, said, “I love the guys man! They [fight] so hard, they really battle.” Even going as far as to say, “There’s no me if it wasn’t for them.”

Despite battling injuries all year, offensive line leader Jeremiah Frost explained how the team keeps the “next man clock mentality.

“Next play, next play. Just because if I go down, you have to play down and be like ‘oh damn, we got somebody injured,’” he said. “Each of us has each other’s back no matter what.”

Frost believes he broke his right ring finger during the title-clinching game.

Head coach Frank Mazzotta said, “Our offensive line coach has done a great job putting that group together. Tonight might be as good as [its] played all season.”

Prior to running on the field before every game the team locks arms and performs a chant in which “two Cs” is yelled emphatically. “Two Cs” traditionally stands for Cerritos College.

As time ticked off the clock, defensive tackle, David Fangupo said, “Two Cs now stands for conference champs!”

After surrendering 15 points in the first half, the defense was able to buckle down and keep the College of the Canyons Cougars off the board for the remainder of the game.

In his final regular season home game, Anthony Murray added to his team high five interceptions by increasing the total to six in the fourth quarter.

“I’m not done yet. We have some big things on the table and I’m going to play for as [God’s] going to allow us to,” he said.

Free safety Elijah Walker also added an interception on the night.

Toward the last minutes of the game, things got a bit chippy as the Cougars could see its season slipping away for them.

Mazzotta said, “With about four minutes left I asked one of the referees to go ask their coach [Ted Lacenda] did he want to shake hands after the game, he said no, his kids were chipping and our kids responded, that’s when he said we were a class act.”

The Cougars team left the field with six seconds still on the clock. However, Mazzotta doesn’t think too much of it.

“We made that decision. That was a mutual agreement [to not shake hands to prevent any fights between the team]. I always love to shake hands, but we have to play another game, they don’t we don’t need anything happening there,” Mazzotta said.

The win not only secured the conference title for the team, but it also punched a ticket to the Southern California Playoffs for the first time in four years.

Once the RPI standings were released on Sunday afternoon, the playoff seedings were announced as well.

Cerritos College locked up the number two spot only behind Saddleback College. The Falcons opened the season with a 26-20 thrilling win over the Gauchos that was capped off by a Keith Walker interception.

Cerritos will be paired off with crosstown rival Long Beach City as it is ranked as the third seed.

This has been a game that Falcon fans have wanted for some time now, as they haven’t locked horns since the 2011 season.

Not only will a potential matchup against either Saddleback or Riverside be hanging in the balance, but the Crosstown Cup will also be up for grabs.

As Cerritos has won 10 of the last 13 meetings and owns a overall record of 30-22-1 over Long Beach City.

Mazzotta told cerritosfalcons.com, “Both schools have tried to get each other on their non-conference schedule for the last several years, but it hasn’t happened.”

Mazzotta played tight end for the Vikings during their 1962 National Championship run.

“This should be a great game for the players, coaches and the fans,” Mazzotta added.

Terrel Emerson
Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!
Briana Hicks
Briana Hicks, Staff Writer
If you want to get an idea of who I am, look at some of my stories. You can find out a little bit about me in my the way I write. Growing into the role of a college student, I'm beginning to find out who I am in this life. Back when I first began coming to Cerritos, I never would've imagined that I'd find my connection to the school on the college newspaper. Let alone, find people who actually understand me as well as I understand them. My path in life is unfolding itself before, and I am so excited to see where it takes me.