Three women’s basketball players sign to schools

Family and love are some of the words the Cerritos College women’s basketball team used to describe each other.

That is what three women will be leaving behind as they move onto the four-year university level.

Forward Sydney Lopez signed to Hope International University in Fullerton, California.

While guard Kennedi Cooper and forward Ashley Flores will take their talents to Peru State College in Nebraska.

“I chose Hope International because it is a private school and I know the staff and the coaches will help me succeed in the classroom and excel on the court, ” Lopez said.

Lopez played two seasons for the Falcons and averaged 5.3 points per game, 4.1 rebounds per game while shooting 41.6 percent from the field.

Despite her numbers at the community college level Lopez understands that more competition lies ahead.

“I am expecting a big change. It will be more competitive on the court and I will have to earn everything I get by constant hard work,” she said.

Before leaving for her new school Lopez wanted her teammates to know something about her.

“I really appreciate each and every one of them. I know they all used to say ‘Syd[ney] hates us.’ But know that that is far from the truth and I am thankful for the seasons I spent with you all,” she said.

Both Cooper and Flores did not consult with each other prior to making the big decision to attend Peru College.

“I knew [Cooper] had an offer form the school but we both were unsure whether or not we were going to go there,” Flores explained.

But once the papers were signed reality set in for both athletes knowing that they have at least two years left to play together.

“We were very excited to know we would be going to the same school and it was a little bit of relief to know I would have a friend going to school with me being so far away from home,” Cooper said.

Flores shared the same excitement but channeled it a different way, adding “It’s going to be lit.”

The chemistry between Cooper and Flores on the court has grown over the years but the bond off the court will continue to grow as well.

“I think that we have really great chemistry on the court. We know how each other play and our strengths and weaknesses. Off the court we’re cool. [Cooper] is the homegirl and it’s always fun to be around her,” Flores said.

With all that in mind both athletes are anxious to continue improving on the court together.

“At the next level people can expect us to dominate. I believe together we are going to make a huge impact on this new team,” Cooper added.

Terrel Emerson
Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!