Falcons’ football continue its winning ways after trip to College of the Desert

Carlos Ruiz
The Cerritos College football team is now 3-0 following the game against College of the Desert. The Falcons are pictured here during the away game against Moorpark College on Sept. 8.

The Cerritos College football team won its away match-up against the College of the Desert Roadrunners 65-35.

This win marks the third straight for the Falcons, the last time they opened a season 3-0 was during the 2010 season.

The Falcons had 65 points by the end of the fourth quarter.

This win was the largest scoring night for the team since their 2013 post season game against Grossmont College.

The Falcons opened the first quarter neck and neck with the Roadrunners leading by only four points, 14-10.

Cerritos College tacked 17 more points in the second quarter leading College of the Desert 31-17 at the half.

The Roadrunners would remain scoreless in the third quarter while the Falcons went on to add 27 points to their already large lead.

In the last quarter the Falcons would score once more, while the Roadrunners tried to fight back bringing in 17 points.

Ultimately unable to come back from being down, the Falcons won comfortably thanks to the large stride they took in the third quarter.

Sophomore quarterback No. 11 Isaiah Bravo had a total of 269 passing yards on the night. Bravo has a total 638 yards in only three games, a little more than half of the yards he accumulated last season in 10 games.

Bravo praised the coaching staff for its job preparing the team coming up against College of the Desert.

Bravo said, “I didn’t do anything special, I just did what I was coached to do.”

He continued, “The first goal is obviously to win, if I do my job, then good things happen.”

Bravo says head coach DeanGrosfeld has a done a really good job of having players buy in to the program.

While Bravo was passing a storm, sophomore running back No. 3 Rhamondre Stevenson rushed a total of 143 yards.

Stevenson has accumulated 460 rushing yards in the span of three games.

Stevenson played 10 games last season and rushed for 501 yards, he’s already 41 yards away in just three games.

Grosfeld said, “The kids played awesome, we knew there were some challenges going into the game, but they played well.”

Grosfeld says it’s a fresh new positive era this season with a huge amount of “negativity” the past couple of seasons being a strong effect on the team.

“If we changed anything, we’ve made it real positive, we made it fun for these kids to play and that’s what we’re trying to accomplish,” Grosfeld said.

Grosfeld is making sure that there is always players on the team to step in for injured players.

The Falcons’ football team has its next game at home against College of the Canyons on Sept. 22.

Grosfeld said, “It’ll be a nice little challenge for us… win, lose or draw, we’re gonna be fine.”

Bravo said, “If we do what we’re suppose to do the only team that can beat us is ourselves.

Bravo ended with, “This is the first week that we’re facing a team equally as talented as us.”

Both sides will be following up on a 60 plus scoring game, this Saturday night match-up will be a battle of undefeated teams.

Carlos Ruiz, Managing Editor
Carlos Ruiz is the Managing Editor for Talon Marks. He admires photography, and even launched his own website and has dedicated his Instagram to his work. His dream job is always changing, but most recently, he would like to travel the world taking photos, or something having to do with photojournalism. He’s hopeful to continue working on a newspaper staff at the CSU he decides to attend.