Cerritos Falcons defeat El Camino in annual Milk Can game

The+Cerritos+Offense+heads+to+the+sideline+after+Running+Back+Davon+Booth+%236+Scores+the+first+Touchdown+of+the+game+for+the+Falcons.+Several+Cerritos+players+are+seen+high-fiving+teammates+and+coaches+as+they+make+their+way+towards+the+sideline+in+the+first+quarter+of+the+game+on+Oct.+23%2C+2021.+
Roman Acosta
The Cerritos Offense heads to the sideline after Running Back Davon Booth #6 Scores the first Touchdown of the game for the Falcons. Several Cerritos players are seen high-fiving teammates and coaches as they make their way towards the sideline in the first quarter of the game on Oct. 23, 2021.

The Cerritos College Falcons football team won their second conference game against El Camino College Warriors in the annual Milk Can Trophy game with a score of 19 – 14 on Oct. 23.

El Camino kicked off at 6 p.m. to the Falcons in Falcon Stadium as Cerritos would start their drive on the Falcons 35 yard line due to a kick out of bounds from the El Camino kick-off team.

The Falcons first score of the game came by Freshman running back #6 Davon Booth as he rushed in for a 23-yard touchdown run to put the Falcons up 6-0 seven minutes into the first quarter, point after attempt from Freshman Kicker Abraham Delgadillo #16 (Gahr HS) was successful putting the Falcons up by 7.

All eyes appeared to be on the defense from the home crowd as Sophomore Defensive Back #5 Bijon Harris came up with an interception on a deep pass thrown by El Caminos Quarterback.

That interception would set up the Falcons nicely as their offense started once again on their 35-yard line. The offense would drive down the field for a 4-play drive that went 65-yards and lead to a 25-yard receiving touchdown from Sophomore Wide Receiver Bailey Torres putting the Falcons up 14-0 by the end of the first quarter.

The Falcons defense had shut out the Warriors for Three-Quarters of the football game. El Camino’s first touchdown of the game came from a Warriors defender stripping the ball from Cerritos running back Davon Booth going 41-yards for the touchdown making it a 14-7 ball game in the third quarter.

It had seemed as if all momentum shifted over to the Warriors after their defensive touchdown.

The Falcons defense responded to the noise as defensive back Bijon Harris caused a forced fumble for the Falcons. The Falcons committed a personal foul penalty which led to a Warriors first down on the El Camino 38-yard line.

Oe that same defensive drive for the Falcons defense once again defensive back Bijon Harris came up with the interception in the endzone that set up the Cerritos Offense on their 25-yard line.

The Warriors put together a 4-play, 50-yard drive late in the fourth quarter to tie the ball game at 14-14. The Falcon’s would put together an offensive drive with two minutes left in the fourth quarter that would set up a field goal for kicker Abraham Delgadillo at the 11-yard line of El Camino.

The kick was up and good, realizing they left just two seconds left for El Camino to attempt a miracle as the score was now 17-14.

To finish off the game, the Cerritos kick-off team would take the field with hopes of closing this game out for a win. The kick led to multiple lateral passes by the El Camino return team which eventually was lateraled in the back of the end zone as the ball rolled out of bounds leading to a safety on the Warriors padding the score up 19-14.

The Falcons successfully defended the Milk Can Trophy for another year. Players took to the field and cheered along the sideline as the game ended resulting in a 19-14 win over the El Camino Warriors in the annual Milk Can game.

When asked about the performance of the Cerritos Defense Head Coach Dean Grosfeld stated “We knew coming into the season that they would be our backbone because we returned so many starters from the 2019 season, were very experienced on that side, we have a couple of transfers too so we became experienced.”

“Great teams and championship teams win with defense” Coach Grosfeld mentions.

“It puts us on track, were 2-0 in conference” Coach Grosfeld adds, “it’s a good win for us.” When asked what this win means to him as the head coach.

Sophomore defensive back #5 Bijon Harris shined on the defensive side of the ball for the Falcons accounting for two force fumbles, two interceptions, and a pass break-up for Cerritos.

Cerritos will be playing at home next week against Palomar in the third league conference game on Oct. 30, 2021.

Roman Acosta, Sports Editor
Roman Acosta is the Sports Editor for Talon Marks, This will be Roman’s second semester on the Talon Marks Staff. Roman is also an assistant football coach at John Glenn High School (Norwalk CA) as well as a sports photographer who is a Journalism Major. Roman is a fan of Marvel/DC movies and comics. Roman enjoys watching Baseball, Football and other highly competitive sports. Roman would be interested in becoming a sports photographer or journalist in his future.