2021 Falcon football season recap

Freshman+running+back+No.+6%2C+Davon+Booth+rushes+to+the+left+pylon+and+breaks+a+tackle+to+score+the+Falcon%E2%80%99s+first+touchdown+of+the+game+against+the+Hornets+on+Sept.+11%2C+2021.+
Roman Acosta
Freshman running back No. 6, Davon Booth rushes to the left pylon and breaks a tackle to score the Falcon’s first touchdown of the game against the Hornets on Sept. 11, 2021.

The 2021 Cerritos College Football Season has come to an end after the Falcons finish at an overall record of 6 – 5 after Cerritos defeated San Diego Mesa in the Western State Bowl 32 – 14 in their final game on Nov. 27, 2021.

Cerritos would finish with a 3 – 2 record in their conference. The two heartbreaking losses came down to a game-winning goal by Palomar, and Riverside in the final seconds of the game.

This Falcons football team has proven that they do not make excuses, when down by two or more possessions they have been one of the best at staying in ball games no matter what the circumstances.

On a heavily stacked defensive consisting of sophomore returners from the 2019 football season, the Falcons defense forced 12 interceptions, 12 fumble recoveries, and 40 sacks.

This year Cerritos College football season was one to remember, offensive struggles early through the season with a majority of first-year players on the offensive side of the ball led to the Falcons scoring over 30 points a game in their final five games this season.

Cerritos averaged a total of 27.3 points per game while scoring a total of 300 points this season.

Sophomore wide receiver No. 10, Bailey Torres finished with 46 catches for a total of 747 yards and six touchdowns.

With returners coming back that Cerritos offense is going to leave other team’s defensive coordinators struggling to find ways to slow them down.

Freshman Quarterbacks, No. 5, Jordan Simpson, and No. 11, Cade McConnell will be double trouble quarterbacking for Cerritos.

Adjusting defensive starters will be the biggest concern for Cerritos going into the 2022 football season.

However, Cerritos should find their groove early on this season under Head Coach Dean Grosfeld and the coaching staff.

With an upcoming experienced young team, Cerritos should be ready to resume action just as they finished off the season in a three-game winning streak.

This upcoming football season should be just as exciting as it was in 2021.

Roman Acosta
Roman Acosta, Sports Editor
Roman Acosta is the Sports Editor for Talon Marks, This will be Roman’s second semester on the Talon Marks Staff. Roman is also an assistant football coach at John Glenn High School (Norwalk CA) as well as a sports photographer who is a Journalism Major. Roman is a fan of Marvel/DC movies and comics. Roman enjoys watching Baseball, Football and other highly competitive sports. Roman would be interested in becoming a sports photographer or journalist in his future.