Falcons men’s and women’s basketball bounce back from loss

Derrick Coleman
Jaishon Forte Forward looks for an open line before scoring in the 4th quarter. For the game Forte had 11 points in the game against Los Angeles Trade Tech on January 22, 2020 Photo credit: Derrick Coleman

Cerritos College Men’s basketball were on a 9-game win streak until they lost to Compton College.

Coming off the road with the loss the Falcons are determined to get back on the path of victory.

The Falcons are playing their next game at home against Los Angeles Southwest College.

Head coach Russ May expectations for Wednesday game is to prevent easy transition baskets and offensive rebounds and on the offensive end attack them in the paint making them play defense.

If you ever wonder how to prepare for a team you played previously Coach May, said “In conference each coach knows the other very well because we play them twice a year.

“Our game plan is based on trying to emphasize what we do best and limit their strengths,” adds May.

According to Coach May Falcon players are working on “looking to clean up the on-ball defense and our pick n roll defense.” They are pre-game prepping by doing a walk-through three hours before the game.

Cerritos College Falcon players are going to bring “Effort and assertiveness. No hesitation on and aggressive play,” Coach May said.

On the other hand Cerritos College women’s basketball team broke their six-game losing streak, and beat Compton College 55-51.

Cerritos College women’s basketball team Head coach Trisha Kozlowski said, “We have a walk-through for away games and meet before the game to go over the scout, including player, personal and opponent plays, and tendencies.”

Kozlowski said she believes in her players and know that if they work hard and work together the end result will take care of itself.

“My word for 2020 has been ‘FEARLESS’,” Kozlowski said. “I want the players to play hungry and fearless for 40 minutes.”

Kozlowski tells her players “Play hard, play together, attack on offense, make Southwest earn it on Defense,” in preparation for the game at 5 p.m.

Jalen Washington Sophomore #1 said, “Stay in my routine, doing everything that I do, like, go to class and stuff like that, listen to music. And basically I prepare for every game. this game felt terrible after last night just means we got to take how we feel and just take it out on La Southwest tomorrow. I don’t need to they’re motivated. They felt the same way I feel.”

Jaishon Forte Freshman #11 said, “Taking practice more seriously, and I’m staying focused outside of basketball so I can be prepared mentally when inside. Listening to music and watching highlights and watching the film of whether games to see what I could do better. We’re looking forward to taking it all the way this season.”

Jacob Washington Sophomore forward #3 said, “He wants us to come out and compete and get off to a better start and stay in attack mode. I just want to stay aggressive and kill on the rebounds and just get the W with the guys.”

Derrick Coleman
Derrick Coleman, Co-Multimedia Editor
Derrick Coleman is the Co-Multimedia Editor at Talon Marks. He was born in San Jose, Costa Rica, where he lived for 15 years before coming to the United States. His goal is to start his own photography business.
Robtrell Scott
Robtrell Scott, Staff Writer