Convocation addresses new construction, expensive textbooks, plan for new year

“It’s a special time of year,” said President Linda Lacy in her opening speech of Cerritos College Convocation.

The Convocation took place Thursday, Aug. 28 at the Burnight Center Theatre at 11 a.m.

At the start of the Convocation, Lacy asked the faculty to join her in a moment of silence for the passing of Jasmine Cornejo, Chief of Police Richard Bukowiecki and former softball coach and hall-of-famer Nancy Kelly.

There was also a song dedicated to Lacy, performed by band-led music instructor David Betancourt, in a parody to the song “Lowrider.”

“I think it went very well. We tried to present some good information and start off on a good foot for the year,” Lacy said.

The Convocation aimed to inform faculty about the plans for the new year, which included plans to incorporate alternative textbook options and lower costs, the outlining of the facilities master plan, as well as welcoming new Cerritos College faculty and congratulating others who received their tenure or were named Outstanding Classified Employees.

Dr. Solomon Namala, the Cerritos College Faculty Federation (CCFF) president, said, “I think it went well. It was nice time to start off the year. A little sad given the passing of our community members. We have lots to do as faculty,”

During his speech, Namala gave thanks to the members of the CCFF members and faculty for their support.

“We actually want to work on a 16-week calendar. Many of the students; we can tell as teachers, that 16-week calendars are much better for students,” Namala added.

During the Convocation, Vice President of Business Services David El Fattal outlined the master plan for new buildings and renovation in the gym, auto tech and social science in the coming years.

Vice President of Academic Affairs Dr. Joanna Schilling outlined her plan to help provide students with cheaper books and alternative electronic resources.

“My big goal this year is to support faculty and developing open educational resources. To me, that’s a prime issue that we really need to address because student textbook costs are just soaring,” she said.

Gustavo Lopez
Gustavo Lopez, Online Editor
I have coffee for blood and I'm not entirely sure I'm human anymore. I sort of stumbled into journalism and Talon Marks but I'm glad I did because I've always lacked direction, even though I've always been told I'm "smart." I've never really felt smart, more like the world doesn't make sense and I'm just trying to make sense of it. I'm a huge gamer and geek and the very model of a scientist Salarian. One thing you'll hear me say usually after several cups of coffee is either "I am Krogan" or "it had to be me, someone else would have gotten it wrong." I hope the editors and the new staff learn from my past mistakes, as well the ones that came before. I wish everyone the best in whatever they may pursue. Let's kick some ass, write good news and show them Talon Marks is more than just the newspaper. We're a team and family. This is Goose signing off, go get'em.