Artists’ set time should be respected

With the recent outburst of Green Day’s lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong at the annual iHeart Radio Music Festival in Las Vegas, many have questioned if today’s musicians have a right to over react at times and when it’s actually appropriate.

Some may feel that Armstrong’s reaction to Green Day’s set being shortened due to Usher’s performance extending past its designated time and having to perform 30 minutes later from what was originally scheduled was completely understandable.

Being mad that your set is cut from 45 minutes to only 20 minutes would make many attendees, as well as the performers, angry, especially considering that it was cut-off due to another artist going over his set time.

Armstrong had every right to yell at the producers for reminding him he only had a minute left constantly while trying to perform “Basket Case” with his band. Armstrong went as far as blasting Justin Bieber, stating that he wasn’t Bieber and that he has been around in the industry a lot longer than him.

Although, many believe that Armstrong’s reaction to the situation was over the top, people should consider that there would not have been an outburst if it wasn’t for Usher going over 30 minutes from his own set, depriving Green Day those remaining minutes for it to perform its own set and letting Rihanna close the show as scheduled.

Another possibility was for the producers to allow Green Day to finish its set and then extend the festival and let Rihanna do her set.

Armstrong’s on stage outburst is not the first public outburst of its kind.

Back in 2009, Kanye West had his own outburst at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards.

Many would argue that West’s outburst was a little more over the top and completely unnecessary toward Video of the Year winner Taylor Swift. West barged on stage and interrupted Swift while making her acceptance speech on live television.

West’s excuse to the whole incident was that he believed that Beyonce should have been the one to receive the award. He made sure everyone knew about his feelings toward the VOY winner.

West later apologized to Swift in private, and Swift reportedly accepted the apology.

Our society should not be shocked about these kinds of incidents by now, after all, our society is so fascinated with today’s celebrities

They always seem to be under a microscope with everyone watching their every move and photographers following them everywhere to get the visuals.

So what if Armstrong had his outburst in public? Just know he has entered rehab to better himself and try to get away from the chaos that follows him everywhere. Maybe a little rehab is all he needs to get his sanity back from all the craziness he endures on a daily basis.

Eduardo Alvarado
Eduardo Alvarado, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 Award winning philanthropist, Eduardo Alvarado re-joins the Talon Marks News for a third semester hoping to gain new journalistic experiences through his college journalism career.