Cerritos’ homecoming goes retro gaming

Kadie Gurley, Director of Inter Club Council, ASCC Chief Justice Rodrigo Quintas, discussed the upcoming homecoming events at the club adviser luncheon. For students who are interested to campaign for homecoming court, the ASCC and ICC had advised that student obligations must come first. Photo credit: Rocio Valdez

Cerritos College’s ASCC students held a luncheon with advisors and officers from various clubs about the upcoming events on campus on Sep. 19.

The primary focus of the luncheon was plans for homecoming, which was announced that theme will be based on arcade and classic video games from the 1980s-1990s.

It was announced that Cerritos College will have a new event for homecoming called “Cerritos Has Talent.”

The 2017 Homecoming Court elections and the float building contest were also.

Kadie Gurley, Director of the Interclub Council, stated that an online poll was available during the summer session and ended during the first week of the fall semester.

The students were left to decide the theme choices: television, comic books, science fiction — the ultimate winner was retro gaming.

Gurley expressed that the theme of retro gaming is a good choice because it not only revives the past but it also exposes the newer generation of students a part of the culture that some of the staff, faculty and older students had experienced.

“It focuses on what our school is all about,” she said.

“Not only do we have students from the past generation but also students in the newer generation, mixed together in day-to-day activities.”

For Cerritos’ 2017 homecoming, a talent showcase called “Cerritos Has Talent” will play a big role during the festivites.

The event will have current students perform in groups of one to six members, performing acts between 90 seconds and three minutes.

The group that wins the competition will have a chance to perform during the pregame reception.

“We wanted more students and clubs to get involved,” Amna Jara, student activites director, said.

She also stated that it emphasizes the traditions that the campus strides in.

“Cerritos Has Talent” will be held at the Falcon Amphitheatre on Oct. 3 from 10:30 a.m. til 12:30p.m.

For students who are interested to campaign for homecoming court, the ASCC and ICC had advised that student obligations must come first.

Due to some of the problems that occured in the previous year, the ASCC will not communicate to professors to allow late work if their students were to miss class time for their campaign.

Applications will be available on Sept. 20 and the mandatory information session for homecoming court will be held at BK 111/112 on Sep. 26 at 11 a.m.

Clubs that are applying for the float building contest will be required to have a primary choice as well as a backup choice of the game their entry will be based on. Applications that are submitted first will have their primary game chosen.

However, if the situation occurs in which both the primary and backup choice were to be taken, Jara will contact the groups and allow them some more time to find a third option.

Checks for float building materials will be only used for the materials as it will not cover food costs.

Applications for float building will be available Sept. 20.

The homecoming game will start at 7 p.m. on Oct. 21 where the Falcons will be facing off against Bakersfield City College.

Carlos Martinez
Carlos Martinez, College Life Editor
Carlos Martinez Jr. is the College Life editor at TalonMarks. He is a Journalism major as well as doing some drawing and designs as a hobby. His goal is to get more involved in the media as a reporter and an editor.