Homecoming floats go retro

Accounting Club’s Tony Gasca, art major, helping fellow accounting major classmates Jilliane Tapel and Gechchou Kim by painting the backdrop of their float. Students from various clubs create floats for Cerritos College’s 2017 Homecoming. Photo credit: Carlos Martinez

As Cerritos College prepares itself for its 2017 Homecoming, students from various clubs work with one another to carry on the tradition of building floats for the festivities that take place during the annual event.

From Oct. 17 to 20, Students collaborated on their club’s floats from as early as 8 a.m. until as late as 8 p.m., in order to bring this year’s retro/classic video game theme to life.

The floats represented their messages and the strong bonds that were established during the semester, as well as embracing the school spirit.

For clubs such as the Accounting Club and the Anthropology Club, float building was an experience to expose their clubs to other students on campus and to welcome them into their meetings and activities.

Accounting majors Jillianne Tapel, Gechchou Kim and art major Tony Gasca were first-timers to the float building processes.

The three representatives of the Accounting Club based their float on the 1990s game “Duck Tales.”

Tapel stated that the experience was challenging and also fun.

“Getting involved in school is always important,” she said, “this is just one way of doing it.”

Child development major Josefina Guerra and anthropology major Rubi Landa also took intiative to the opportunity as a way to represent Anthropology Club.

Both Guerra and Landa stated that becoming a part of a club — representing it in any shape or form — has helped them develop friendships with other students, keeping their options open for the career path they each are planning to take.

The Dream Club used the float building competition as an outlet to get their message across.

Dream Club President Mariela Quinonez expressed that the float was inspired by the game “The Oregon Trail.”

She stated that the game represents the significance of searching for a better life and the idea that any dream is possible.

“It’s gives the message that dreamers are standing strong during this time,” Quinonez said. “It represents what dreamers stand for.”

Phi Beta Lambda also used the float to express their message using the classic arcade game “Pac-Man.”

Business Club President Briana Morales and Marketing Director Andres Perez stated that the game is a great representation about the obstacles that occur in life and the driven motivation to achieve their goal.

The dental hygiene club participated as float building became a valued tradition every homecoming.

Dental Hygiene majors Terri Ashlfield, Andrea Caguioa, Jaymie Jimenez and Ashley Hyatt used their experience to learn more about each other and strive for the “classic yet relevant” game “Super Mario Bros.”

They stated that the familiarity of the game will give students a chance to look back from their traditions, remembering the fun times they had with their families.

Judges will be reviewing the club floats on Oct. 21 and the winner, along with the others, will be showcased during at halftime at the homecoming game where the Falcons will be going against Bakersfield.

Carlos Martinez
Carlos Martinez, College Life Editor
Carlos Martinez Jr. is the College Life editor at TalonMarks. He is a Journalism major as well as doing some drawing and designs as a hobby. His goal is to get more involved in the media as a reporter and an editor.