Clubs determined to start the semester strong

Jackie Mena
Amna “AJ” Jara, student activities coordinator, discusses with club members about the officer’s reception. Club representatives met up to prepare themselves for the spring semester.

Club representatives and ASCC members gathered together to prepare for Cerritos’ spring semester and their respective clubs for the future.

Student Activities Coordinator Amna Jara and Dean of Student Services Elizabeth Miller were one of the few key speakers at the Jan. 24 ASCC Advisor’s and Officer’s reception, discussing to representatives of reworking each clubs’ proposal documents and submitting them as early as possible.

Jara expressed that clubs must be mindful about their budget proposals due to the cuts in the spring semester, focusing on their needs when applying.

“We get a lot of proposals and we don’t have a lot of money to fund them all,” Jara said. “If there is something the club can go without doing or if they can get alternate funding sources that would be great.

“We still want them to put in the proposals and do the best they can. We have a tough track ahead of us, we understand that. We will fund the best of our abilities.”

Jara also stated it is critical for clubs to know that they are not on their own and to stay positive.

MIller said, “It’s important to get it in [the proposal]. It’s about a three and a half week window to get items in because the Budget and Finance Committee has had a lot of time to review all of them.

“Late submissions won’t be accepted because we have to keep going and renewing them. If they have any questions about the forum or how to ask about their budget, they should go to the budget orientations or contact me for assistance.”

In addition to submitting proposals, club officers are now required to update their pages on OrgSync, an online “Facebook” like site for colleges and their clubs.

Jara also stated clubs must also have a revision of their constitution as many of them have grown accustomed to the older editions from past club officers.

The decision is to not only make the clubs more current and active, but to also have a proper representation for the upcoming Club Info Day and Night events.

Kadie Gurley, iFalcon president and interclub council representative, stated clubs have a higher impact towards the student population during the day and evening event, increasing club members and potential officers for the future and also to bring back Falcon pride.

Club Info Day and Night will be held at Falcon Square on Feb. 7-8, 11 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. respectively.

Clubs must be renewed by Feb. 9 through OrgSync in order to remain active for the semester.

A constitution workshop will be provided for clubs on Feb. 6 at 11 a.m. in BK 111/112.

ASCC will also host two budget workshops on Feb. 1-2 at 3:30 p.m. in BK 111/112.

Carlos Martinez
Carlos Martinez, College Life Editor
Carlos Martinez Jr. is the College Life editor at TalonMarks. He is a Journalism major as well as doing some drawing and designs as a hobby. His goal is to get more involved in the media as a reporter and an editor. 
Jackie Mena
Jackie Mena, Staff Writer
Jackie Mena Is a staff writer at talon marks in cerritos college, She goes by the nickname Jaxx.  Jackie is a Fashion/ beauty photographer in hopes of working for Fox or ABC news one day as a field journalist or a Photojournalist and sees herself opening up her own studio in the near future.