Not a big turn out for blood donations due to flu season

Elizabeth Corcoles
Carolina Cuevas, child development major, donating for the first time. Cerritos College students donated blood on Jan. 29-Feb. 1.

The American Red Cross set up camp at Cerritos College during their three-day event for blood donations.

Patty Galaz, donor resources department, has been part of this organization for many years. Galaz states the turnout has been steady, but not as busy as they are accustomed to and blames the flu season for the lack of donations.

Although Galaz is grateful for the donors who were able to come in, she states that many students just were not stopping by.

Having a busy life also attributed to the lack of donors said Galaz. “We’re pushing hard, hard to have people come back who weren’t able to donate,” said Galaz. She understands that students are busy but would like to receive as many donations as possible.

Schools are an important factor to donations. They make up about 20 percent of their blood donations said Galaz.

“The key to success comes from the clubs,” said Galaz. She believes that club involvement is crucial since schools are where they receive the majority of their blood.

Some of the students who made time to pay the organization a visit, had personal vendetta.

Jose Fuentes, physical therapy major, said this was his fourth time donating.

He says, “my sister is anemic and can’t donate blood, so this is like me taking revenge, for all the times she couldn’t.”

Since it hits so close to home, becoming a regular donor is important says Fuentes. He also encourages his peers to follow and donate.

First time donors and residents from the area were among the people who contributed to the donations.

Josie Perez, in the paralegal program, was on her way to the Success Center when she saw the truck and decided to stop by she said.

“It’s my first time,” Perez said, “[I] just wanted to help.” Perez explains that it is an important cause and “you never know when you yourself are going to need blood” said Perez.

Galaz explained there was a couple who live in the area and saw the signs stating the American Red Cross was accepting blood donations. The couple happened to be O Negative, said Galaz and they wanted to contribute.

Even so, Galaz states “all blood types are important,” as well as a diversity in blood.

The process of donating blood ranged from 20 minutes to about an hour. This all depended on how long the wait was and if there was an appointment made.

The American Red Cross organization will return to campus March 5-7 from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Elizabeth Corcoles, Online Editor
Elizabeth is the current Online and Social Media Editor for Talon Marks. She has previously worked on Arts and Entertainment section and is now working towards transferring to a Cal State. Her interest include concerts, design and would love to work for a music publication.