Club info day; what club to join?

Club info day occured on Feb. 7 at Falcon Square. Many of the clubs offered at Cerritos College came out to have students pledge to their allegiance.

Although they all have different stances and viewpoints, all of them have one thing in common; the goal to help guide students to success.

Club presidents and members all came out to represent their club in hopes to gain new members.

Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanx de Aztlan, were one of the many clubs who came out. Cesar Hernández, “the comrade,” officer of M.E.C.h.A, said their club is based on a foundation to “empower, celebrate and act.”

M.E.C.h.A provides the opportunity to engage with one another and celebrate their culture, says Hernández. As well as working closely along side the DREAM club, they provide guidance with scholarships and their rights to students who fall under the category of Dreamers.

Mariela Quinonez, president of the DREAM club, was also in attendance. Quinonez explains as to how the DREAM club works closely with M.E.C.h.A to ensure that their members are informed about Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals and as well as providing students consultations regarding immigration.

Helping students find their voice in political issues was not the only topic that was addressed and created intrigue, the S.T.E.M club made its début and showed students just how interesting science can be.

David Ramirez, club president and aerospace engineering major, showcased the Wimhurst machine as a demonstration showing students science can be interesting and cool. Ramirez says, “I believe science is cool, people are afraid to be involved [but] if we show them it can be fun, people might get more involved.”

The S.T.E.M club revolves around anything that has to do with math, robotics, physics and anything stem related.

The Abilities Empowered club was also among the clubs who came out for club info day.

Pearl Netrayana, events coordinator, is hoping to create awareness for students with physical and mental challenges.

Netrayana says she hopes the Abilities Empowered club will inform people of what it is to have cerebral palsy, epilepsy and other difficulties.

Netrayana’s goal is to provide a “support system for everyone and have knowledge of what it means to have challenges.”

The clubs offer an abundance of information for the students and is a great way for students to network and gain new skills.

Kim Parenteau, captain of the Computer and Info Science club, hopes to have a geek squad on campus in the near future to help students fix their computers.

The diversity in the clubs is major and the offerings of each are different in both the environmental factor, as well as background. Club presidents and members urge students to join to help guide them in their time at college.

All the clubs offered on campus have open registration and are accepting new members.

Students are encouraged to check on org sync for upcoming meetings and events for each club.

Elizabeth Corcoles
Elizabeth Corcoles, Online Editor
Elizabeth is the current Online and Social Media Editor for Talon Marks. She has previously worked on Arts and Entertainment section and is now working towards transferring to a Cal State. Her interest include concerts, design and would love to work for a music publication.