Workshop Prepares Students For Upcoming Job Fair

In order to prepare for the Spring 2018 Job Fair, Career Services held a workshop for students to offer advice and knowledge on different aspects to keep in mind when approaching an employer.

Resume critiquing, job research, and advice on how to approach employers to make a memorable first impression, were the topics discussed throughout the workshop.

Held in the Business Education Building room 105 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Clara Ross-Jones, academic and career counselor on campus, discussed numerous points to keep in mind when approaching employers and stressed the importance of making a good first impression.

“Making connections and networking is important…” Ross-Jones stated. In terms of the Job Fair, she mentioned that employers are seeking entry level recruits and attendees should take advantage of it, to seek out new opportunities.

“The top three things to keep in mind are research companies, prep your resume, and prepare your pitch…” she clarified when discussing what students need to prepare for the Job Fair.

“You don’t want to go up to a table and say ‘what do you do?’ You want to have a little bit of knowledge about the company beforehand…” she added.

Stating that some employers may accept resumes on the spot, she continued to say that it’s important to prepare your resume and ensure everything is in order.

She then expanded on why it’s important to have a resume handy for employers, “Remember even if they don’t accept this resume in-person, they may ask for you to upload it to them…”

Alongside this, she had attendees of the workshop look over a fake resume and find the errors, afterwards, she went into depth of why certain parts were incorrect and how to fix them.

“Resume is key. Be clear in your skills and experience. Detail is important…” she continued to say.

“It was helpful…I got great points for the Job Fair…” mentioned Andre Vargas, Literature major, when asked for his thoughts on the workshop.

Ross-Jones continued expanding on the tips and key points to look out for in a resume, such as ensuring you list a professional email and current phone number, detail your specific job objective, summarize specifically at least 4-6 items listing your strengths, never using “I” statements, list any extracurricular activities/experience, paid or unpaid, whether its volunteering or anything that you take time to do on campus, in your community, etc., and have at least three references on a separate page.

She also mentioned how important it is to prepare for the “30 second interview” or elevator pitch when talking to and approaching employers at the Job Fair. She said that you shouldn’t forget to mention in your pitch, an overview of your talents, skills, experience, briefly describe your career goals, and your interest in the company.

“Let them know you’ve looked them up, be confident and bring more energy. Introduce yourself, say why your interested, and keep in mind what to say or highlight about yourself…” Ross-Jones said. She recommended that those attending the fair should bring at least 5 to 10 copies of an updated resume, and if there’s a specific place you want to apply to, do your best to get a business card.

“When your approaching the table keep in mind the person behind it, could be the person that hires. You want to make a good impression and it goes very quickly….” she noted.

“What are you going to say about yourself? You want to create a list of what you want to touch on with employers about who you are such as your educational goals, experience, and a maybe a couple of your strengths…You want to practice at least six…” Ross-Jones mentioned as she discussed what to keep in mind of what to say when talking to employers.

She even said how important it is to keep in touch after you’ve spoken to the employers. Reminding them of who you are, even if it’s just through a quick email to follow up.

“It was really helpful. I learned a lot and it really helped me prepare,” mentioned nursing major Jennifer Camarea.

When asked for her best tips or advice for those who want to attend the job fair Ross-Jones added, “Prepare, make sure you seek out opportunities you wouldn’t naturally gravitate to, and really talk to the employers. You may be surprised…”

The Job Fair is set to take place April 5, from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., located on the library sidewalk.

Karina Quiran-Juarez
Karina Quiran-Juarez, Staff Writer
Karina Quiran-Juarez is a staff writer for Talon Marks. Currently majoring in journalism, she is also planning to transfer to a 4-year university. Some of her favorite hobbies include reading ( talking about books and recommending them), even listening to music and podcasts in her free time.