Future Falcons visit campus on Senior Preview Day

Carlos Martinez
High school students from surrounding districts walk along Falcon Square to see club booths. Senior Preview Day was held on April 27.

Cerritos College opened its doors to high school seniors as they dropped by to learn more about the campus, its highlights and the perks of becoming Cerritos students during the annual Senior Preview Day.

Senior Preview Day gave students from neighboring districts such as ABC Unified School District and Bellflower Unified School District a chance to tour around campus and acquiring more insight on the student life, services and programs from the academic and athletic departments.

In addition, students were able to canvas Falcon Square and visit booths of various clubs, courses and services offered on campus.

During the event, students were invited to a welcome rally where they received free food from Hot Dog on a Stick and watched performances by Cerritos College’s music and dance departments.

IMG_3003.JPG
Dance students performed some routines for high school students at the Falcon Amphitheater. The Dance and Music department performed during Senior Preview Day. Photo credit: Carlos Martinez

Pablo Guerrero and Gilbert Sandoval, seniors at Norwalk High School, were one of the many high school students who attended the event.

“There’s a lot of opportunities here for high school students,” Sandoval said, “a lot of good programs and it’s a nice campus.”

“The programs are vigorous,” Guerrero said, “and that’s a benefit. They help you out in your college education and help you out with your major.”

Sandoval expressed that he has an interest in the auto-shop and woodworking programs.

Guerrero said that he plans on participating the STEM and robotics programs.

Amna Jara, the student activities coordinator, said that the all-day-event was design for students to get motivation to continue their education after high school, regardless if they choose Cerritos College or another local community college.

“It’s very exciting,” she said. “It gives us [Cerritos College] an opportunity to showcase what we have.”

She also expressed that of many of the Cerritos College students that are involved in clubs have attended the open-house event in their last final year of high school which gave them the motivation and the open mindedness of portraying an active role in campus life.

“I’m not so worried that the crowd was less,” Jara added. “Even if they go on and still spread the word to their family, friends and neighbors, we are still making a huge impact. “

Angel Teutli, cosmetic major was one of the Cerritos College students that were showcasing the Behind the Scenes Wardrobe and Makeup class on campus.

“We got to inform students about things they can do in the class,” Teutli said. “Show them that they have free will on creations such as making a rose out of trash or using old age makeup.”

Teutli expressed that Senior Preview Day worked best with incoming freshmen who still wonder of the opportunities they have after high school.

“They know what they want to do now,” he said.

IMG_2005.JPG
High school students canvass around Falcon Square during Senior Preview Day. Cerritos College clubs and courses gave students an insight of the opportunities offered on campus Photo credit: Carlos Martinez

Jackie Mena, Staff Writer
Jackie Mena Is a staff writer at talon marks in cerritos college, She goes by the nickname Jaxx.  Jackie is a Fashion/ beauty photographer in hopes of working for Fox or ABC news one day as a field journalist or a Photojournalist and sees herself opening up her own studio in the near future.
Carlos Martinez, College Life Editor
Carlos Martinez Jr. is the College Life editor at TalonMarks. He is a Journalism major as well as doing some drawing and designs as a hobby. His goal is to get more involved in the media as a reporter and an editor.