ASCC Senate looks to pay mascot for excess work

DSC_1741_0

Franco Falcon was originally hired to don the newly bought falcon suit, goof around with the students, make appearances at club events and sporting events and promote a sense of school pride within the campus community of students and faculty alike.

According to some Associated Students of Cerritos College Senators, he has not only exceeded expectations for the job description, but has gone way above the cal, and the hourly pay.

From making guest appearances at major games like the homecoming football game to the campus-wide 60th celebration, Franco Falcon has also taken to social media tweeting at students and staff of the campus and engaging with fans on Instagram as well.

ASCC Senate has taken time to discuss a possible hourly wage increase for the mascot.

As of now, the mascot is paid $9.93 and according to the 2015 – 2016 ASCC budget book, there is a total of $6,672.60 allocated for the mascot.

During the Wednesday, Oct. 14 ASCC Senate meeting Vice President Ivan Oyarzabal presented the item of a wage increase as president of the senate, no affiliation with the proposed wage increase.

Senator Daniel Flores belives the mascot should get a wage increase.

He said, “I think ASCC should fund [mascot pay raise] for ASCC events.

“The district is composed of board of trustees and administrators, if those at the highest level feel they need to budget toward a mascot, rather than issues such as course increments for students, the hiring of permanent faculty and increasing academic resources, it would not be okay not only to me but to many students on campus.”

He also mentioned that the senators did not have sufficient information to make a well-educated stance, the item then is still in premature developmental stages.

After the meeting Dr. Gilbert Contreras, dean of Student Services, said he has a liking for the wage increase saying, “I always support higher paying jobs for students, we need more jobs for students that pay a better rate” however, he urges senators to acknowledge the minimum wage for the state of California.

A senator in support for the possible wage increase is Gloria Sedano.

She said, “I am for the increase in wage of the mascot because it is my understanding that he does more than what he was originally asked to do.

“It’s only fair to pay him for the extra services he does.”

The work can be difficult given the recent heat wave.

The mascot’s Twitter account occasionally interacts with other mascots for sports teams that are in the professional field.

Sedano said, “He does more than we expect him to do, he’s at every single event and he does, as a character, bring in more audience so I support it. We are all about student jobs.”

There is nothing in legislation yet that will guarantee a pay raise for the mascot.

Flores said, “I do feel we should budget toward tangible products such as more hydration stations, microwaves, student billboards and academic resources.”

Sebastian Echeverry, Editor in Chief
Hello all, my name is Sebastian Echeverry and I am the Editor-in-Chief for the fall 2015 semester. I have been working for the newspaper for four semesters now and slowly climbed the ranks from staff writer, to assistant sports editor, to sports editor, news/managing editor and finally the big cheese. My interest in journalism began when the twin towers fell on September 11 and the U.S. invaded Iraq. Global news coverage of airstrikes in Baghdad plagued the media and my father who served in the Colombian military would sit with me and explain what was going on to me. I was only eight years old at the time, so putting politics aside, I was only interested in how reporters on the front lines were seeing history unfold in front of them. Since then, I enjoyed reading and writing especially about global news. My first taste of research was for a high school paper about the militias still active in the U.S. I remember sipping some brew outside on the Coffee Bean's patio and being swallowed up by data, and liking it. I Currently have a part time job at Calvin Klein, my favorite sport is soccer and I love, Barcelona, Chelsea and Borussia Dortmund. I also enjoy watching hockey and my favorite team there is the Detroit Red Wings, yeah weird I know. I'm an easy person to approach and talk to and if you have story ideas let's get cracking on them! my email is: [email protected] My Twitter is: C_bass581141 My Instagram is: onlyc_bass5 and for giggles my snapchat is: onlyc_bass5