Life of the returning student – No. 3

Philip Okoli

Last week was pretty interesting on campus. Classes have definitely gotten more hectic as midterms are in progress, but as a whole, it is a motivating experience.

Tuesdays tend to be my most stressful day as I am usually at school from 8:30 a.m. to around 10 p.m. but this past week was not nearly as stressful for some reason.

I decided to make realistic goals for myself regarding my school work, and then make more difficult goals once those goals had been completed. Having constant tasks to meet severely helped my mental mindset.

I honestly put a lot of work into meeting my goals.

Like anything in life that you want to be successful at, practice is pivotal to achieve that success. I can only hope that the amount of time that I have put into my classes will translate to success.

With the amount of fun and exciting things going on around campus last week, school felt more like a carnival than a stress-filled place of learning.

I am learning that time management is more important than ever as the amount of things that I am involved in on campus can sometimes take away from my studies.

However, when I learn better time management, I should have no problem balancing all of my campus-related activities.

Ironically, it would be fun to be involved in more of the things that our school has to offer.

I am not sure if it is realistic to think that I can balance my family life, school, as well as my professional life, while taking on more outside of what I already take on, but it would be fun to try.

One of the most exciting things for me is being able to use my life experiences to help people around campus. There is something about knowing that I am being helpful to others that is very inspiring.

Later in the week, a stranger came up to me on campus and randomly asked me about my faith. Somewhat puzzled by the question, I answered that I am a Christian. This person responded, “Makes sense, you are very helpful.”

It struck me as a bit odd because I had never so much as seen this person around campus, yet they knew of me and of my faith.

I was then asked if this was my first time in college. I responded that I previously graduated from college and that I am a returning student. This person again responded, “Makes sense.”

As I walked away from that brief conversation, I felt a small sense of accomplishment, and an even greater desire to be that same person as that stranger saw me, but to be that person for as many people on campus as I can.

Patrick Dolly, Staff Writer