Women’s soccer champion dies

Womens soccer champion dies
Courtesy of Jay Yanez

Cerritos College women’s soccer player Jasmine Cornejo died due to a seizure on Sunday, Aug. 3.  She was 20-years-old. Not a lot of information has been revealed about her death. The cause of the seizure was not school-related.

According to  Jay Yanez, Cornejo’s coach for the Norwalk Soccer Club, Cornejo had a seizure that induced her into a coma on Saturday, Aug. 2.

Cornejo was born in Torrance, Calif. and graduated from Artesia High School. She wasn’t expected to return to the Cerritos College women’s team next semester and planned to attend Cal Poly Pomona. A GoFundMe account was setup by Alexandra Guzman to raise $2000 for Cornejo.

She started to play soccer for Artesia High School , Cerritos College and Norwalk Soccer Club.  She went on to win back-to-back State Championships in 2012 and 2013 with Cerritos College.

Cornejo also was one of the three women of the Cerritos College women’s soccer team that were recruited for the Mexican National Soccer under-20 team.

Yanez expressed his reaction when he found out about her death.

“I was shocked. I couldn’t believe it, just because how she was joyful, happy and bubbly. She was never sad or anything. She was always happy. A happy person,” he said.

More updates will come in the future as information comes in.

Luis Guzman, Managing Multimedia Editor
Fall 2014 Hey guys and gals, my name is Luis Guzman. I am journalism student at Cerritos College, I’ve been going there for about three years now. I have been involved with Talon Marks, the newspaper for Cerritos College, for five semesters. I have done mostly everything there is to do in Talon Marks; covering breaking news, page design, video production, podcast production, and photography. I like to read in my off time, mostly books about science fiction and horror. I also like to write fiction of my own, mostly poetry and short fiction. The career I have in mind would involve anything that has to do with creative writing and maybe writing some articles for newspapers here and there.