Women’s swim open up season

The Cerritos women’s swim team bounced back from scoring zero points in the Waterman Festival, to capturing second place at the Palomar Pentathlon.

The Waterman Festival took place on Friday, Feb. 10 and the Pentathlon took place the next day, both events took place at Palomar College.

Head Coach Sergio Macias was pleased with his team’s effort and also thought the meets, “helped reveal characteristics of each swimmer.”

In Friday’s meet Cerritos competed against swimmers from Chaffey, Riverside, Palomar, San Diego Mesa, Cypress, Grossmont and Crafton Hills.

No swimmer from Cerritos was able to score any point throughout the course of the meet.

The next day at the Pentathlon the Falcons would finish second in points only to Palomar.

All 11 swimmers scored at least 10 points, led by Isabella Sierra with 32 points, placing second in the 100 yard breast stroke for 17 points and fourth in the 200 yard individual medley for 15 points.

Although Sierra and Jackie Oliveros led the team in points, Macias pointed out Lindsay De Haas and Elisa Prohroff for their performance in Saturday’s meet.

De Haas finished sixth in the 100 yard fly and the seventh in the 200 yard individual medley for a total of 25-points. While Prohroff finished seventh in the 50 yard free and third in the 1000 yard free for 28 points.

“Those two were our standout swimmers,” said Macias.

The team finished with 429 total points and left with a second place finish.

After experiencing a competitive atmosphere for the first time this year, coaches and players a like have a lot to look forward too.

First year swimmer Kalina Neville said, “It felt really good, I think we all worked well.

“If we work hard at practice and show up we can be successful,” she added.

Not only did Macias learn about the individual talents of his team, but also received some insight on the characteristics of his swimmers.

“I think their attitudes are very positive, they aren’t scared of challenges, they are willing to swim events that benefit the team not just them individually.”

The next meet for the team will be the South Coast Conference Pentathlon held at Pasadena City College Friday, Feb. 17.

Max Perez
Max Perez, Sports Editor
My name is Max Perez and I am a 19 year old student in my second year at Cerritos College. I am currently in my second semester as a member of the school newspaper, and this semester I am the Sports Editor. I chose to write about sports because it is my only interests, so a job where I only have to go to watch sports and then write about them is perfect. Im still not close to being an expert but i enjoy it so im going to keep at it.