Cerritos swim exits East LA winless

Freshman Adriana Ross mid stroke during the 200-yard breaststroke at East Los Angeles College Friday, March 24. The women would lose to ELAC and Pasadena City College at the conference meet. Photo credit: Michael Cueto

Cerritos swim took a hard blow this weekend as the men and women’s teams came out winless against Pasadena City and East Los Angeles College.

The team’s traveled to East Los Angeles where the men would compete against Pasadena and the women would compete against Pasadena and East LA.

The men lost 161-93 to Pasadena, while the women lost 128-112 to Pasadena and 153-106 to East LA, all of which were conference losses.

Men’s head coach Joe Abing said, “Overall we did well, Pasadena is a really strong team, though we didn’t win the meet, in swimming you have to see if you’re improving, so overall we still did some good things today.”

The men have now dropped to 1-4 on the season in conference matchup’s, but the focus of the team is the upcoming conference finals.

Head coach Joe Abing said the team has not been resting before meets so it can get as much practice in before the finals, which are in four weeks.

“We’re not resting for these events so that’s why I say we’re swimming tired and it kind of shows, but everyone will be swimming at their top potential during [finals],” said Abing.

Despite not resting the team was still able to finish the day with four first place finishes and four second place finishes.

Sophomore Jesus Rojas finished with three of the four first place finished in the 50 and 100-yard freestyle, and the 100-yard butterfly.

Abing said, “Rojas had a really good meet, he had a lot of close races, but he’s one of our fastest swimmers.”

Abing also mentioned that he has seen improvement and potential during this meet.

“One of my slowest guys [Dylan Degeeter], in his 100-yard freestyle dropped five seconds, he didn’t score any points so it doesn’t get much notice but we notice it, so there’s little victories like that.”

The women finished the day with two loses and are now 1-5 in conference meets this season.

The team finished with one first place finish and four second place finishes on the day.

Freshman Elisa Prohroff finished first in the 100-yard freestyle to go along with two second place finishes in the 500-yard and 1000-yard freestyle.

Freshman Lindsey De Haas and Isabella Sierra also finished with one second place finish each.

The women are also working to be competitive during the upcoming conference finals.

Women’s head coach Sergio Macias said, “I tried putting a few of our swimmers in different events just to get ready for conference championships.”

The next events for both teams take place Friday, March 31 at Rio Hondo against Rio Hondo and Los Angeles Trade-Tech.

Sophomore Isiah Gaytan said, “We just have to bring a lot more energy, we just have to bring a lot more energy and remember the goal of conference finals.”

Conference finals start Thursday, April 20 and end Saturday, April 22 for both the men and women’s teams.

Max Perez
Max Perez, Sports Editor
My name is Max Perez and I am a 19 year old student in my second year at Cerritos College. I am currently in my second semester as a member of the school newspaper, and this semester I am the Sports Editor. I chose to write about sports because it is my only interests, so a job where I only have to go to watch sports and then write about them is perfect. Im still not close to being an expert but i enjoy it so im going to keep at it.