Falcons men’s soccer continue win streak with victory over Compton College

The Cerritos Men’s soccer team obtained its second victory of the South Coast Conference tournament against Compton College with a final score of 1-0 on Sept. 28.

The Cerritos Falcons obtained their seventh victory in the current campaign after Freshman forward No. 9 Kevin Diaz received the ball from Sophomore midfielder No. 8 Oscar Penate and Freshman forward No. 19 Brandon Pelayo in the 63rd minute.

Compton College did not have any shots-on-goal throughout the match. Cerritos had five shots-on-goal during the course of the 90 minutes.

Cerritos Men’s Soccer are currently the No. 1 team in the State of California, their record is seven wins in nine games played this season.

Compton College was playing its first game in the conference championship, meanwhile Cerritos were playing its second match.

The Falcons beat Los Angeles Harbor College on Tuesday Sept. 25 in the first game of the conference championship by a score of 4-2.

Cerritos dominated the game from beginning to end, however its reward came in the second period right after the one hour mark with a goal.

The Falcons will travel to El Camino College on Friday Oct. 5 in which the Falcons will want to obtain their third consecutive victory to hold on to the No. 1 ranking not just in the conference, but also in the State of California rankings.

Head coach Benny Artiaga stated when asked on the team’s performance in the match, “It was going to be a really hard game. The team feels happy to obtain the three points at home.”

When asked about what needs to improve on the field Artiaga said, “As a team we need to keep working on crosses and on scoring goals.”

Artiaga stated, “We are really proud to be where we are at.”

Penate said, “We did not play with ball possession during the first half. We came with energy in the second period and also improved our performance in the second half.”

“We have more confidence in ourselves,” said Penate of holding the the title of No. 1 team in the State of California

Pelayo when asked on team performance on the field said, “I felt good to get our job done.”

Pelayo said there was room for improvement for the team such as in offense and stated, “We need to improve. I [as a forward] have to score [a goal].”

Sophomore goalkeeper No.1 Jordan Aldama also agreed with teammate Pelayo.

Aldama said, “Other teams want to beat Cerritos because of the team they [as players] are representing.”

Cerritos Men’s Soccer will play against El Camino College on Oct. 5 at 4 p.m.

Randy Tejeda, Staff Writer
Randy Tejeda is a communications major at Cerritos College and co-sports editor for Talon Marks. He would love to become a play-by-play announcer for FOX Sports in the soccer department. In his free time, Randy enjoys listening to regional Mexican, rock en español, reggaeton and top 40 music.