Women’s waterpolo is ready to face the next team

Cerritos College player is getting ready to strike the ball in the net. The game end up in favore of Cerritos by 15-1. Photo credit: Abel Montoya

With a 4-0 conference record win for the Falcons, Cerritos College Men’s Water polo is tied with Long Beach City College at the top of the leader board in the conference and with the win has them at 9-4 overall.

The Falcons women’s water polo team steadily comes out of its match with Chaffey College on the victorious side after outscoring the opponent 15 to 1.

The score was 7-0 by the end of the first half.

By the end of the first half the score was up to a. sizable 10-1. In the third quarter, the Falcons put up two more on the board.

In the fourth quarter they were able to put up three more to close out the game 15-1.

Head coach Sergio Macias, “we just need to come out focused, come out aggressive and let the game take care of itself.”

“We’ve got to stay focused because we have four games coming up next weekend so we have to use this to stay sharp beginning with tomorrow’s practice to get us ready for our next tournament.” Said Macias.

When ask to what he can attribute victory to, he went on to speak about the leadership of freshman, attacker No. 13 Mia Carbajal, saying “she understands the game very well.”

He continued by name dropping Sophomore attacker No. 15 Amy Cervantes and saying “[she] is another good player.’

Coach says “we can always get in better shape still, we are going to face teams just as quick as us but bigger, we have to match their physicality I think we will get that competition in our next tournament and the rest of October when we play the top teams in our conference.“

“this is a great squad I feel the team feels ready for a challenge I think we’ve gone two to three weeks without being challenged I think the team is ready to be challenged I think this team is kind of excited to get challenged.”

Carbajal said, “I think it was a pretty good match, it’s games like those that you learn from you gain experience so usually he doesn’t let us run the score up.”

Amy Cervantes “I think we’re pretty solid, I think we have things to work on like our communications, just be able to talk to each other in the pool. Not get frustrated if we’re losing by a little bit but I think in the upcoming tournament we’ll be okay.”

Sophomore attacker No. 4 Mayra Olivas, “Especially because we know our opponent, we know that it might not be as challenging as others so we just try our best to play our game and not come down to their level.”

The Falcons next matches will be against East Los Angeles College in the Citrus Tournament.

Luis Lemus, Co-Sports Editor
Luis is very big on baseball and tries to attend as many games as he can when there are no classes, of course. When he is not in class or attending a baseball game, he enjoys listening to music, specifically Hip-Hop and Banda. Specifically Banda MS, Banda La Adictiva and Banda El Recodo.